Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restarting Winxp Sp1

sorry for posting another one of these stupid problems, i've heard it before, not sure if it was here...anyways my xp keeps restarting for no reason (it seems it does it when I have several tabs open in firefox) but my ram manager says nothing like low in memory or high CPU usage, it does not happen ALL the time or with any singularity on how often it does it, its a random thing, and it's very annoying.

I turned off auto restart, so thats not it, is there anything else I've probably ignored? XP has alot of stupid settings, I never had this kind of problem with win2000.

As usual any help would be appreciated TO THE EXTREME!!
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Titus808@11 July 2004 - 09:11
    sorry for posting another one of these stupid problems, i've heard it before, not sure if it was here...anyways my xp keeps restarting for no reason (it seems it does it when I have several tabs open in firefox) but my ram manager says nothing like low in memory or high CPU usage, it does not happen ALL the time or with any singularity on how often it does it, its a random thing, and it's very annoying.

I turned off auto restart, so thats not it, is there anything else I've probably ignored? XP has alot of stupid settings, I never had this kind of problem with win2000.

As usual any help would be appreciated TO THE EXTREME!!
    If you turned off auto-restart then you'll get a BSOD (Bluescreen) so what's the error code?

Oh yeah, turn off your memory 'manager'; XP manages it very well indeed without assistance.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Where do i start with this one. It could be a driver issue, OCed processor, virus, some device prob, blah blah.

The blah, blah is the worst, it's incurable

Give us more info about your system.

EDIT: To chewie, i see you've lost one of your stars, how does the star system work now, any ideas?
    Robert00000

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    the memory manager is ramcleaner, i've used it for a long ass time, and it never gave me any problems, I only use it to monitor it...so that's not the problem even when turned off it occasionally happens...

running on AMD duron 1.3, 512mb pc3200, radeon 9800 AIW creative audigy 2 zs, 200 gig seagate drive...no virus, no adware, checked with SS5, house call, adaware and hijack this, so that's not it...fresh install of XP....
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Titus808@11 July 2004 - 21:13
    the memory manager is ramcleaner, i've used it for a long ass time, and it never gave me any problems, I only use it to monitor it...so that's not the problem even when turned off it occasionally happens...

running on AMD duron 1.3, 512mb pc3200, radeon 9800 AIW creative audigy 2 zs, 200 gig seagate drive...no virus, no adware, checked with SS5, house call, adaware and hijack this, so that's not it...fresh install of XP....
    have you overclocked the processor? Do you get any error messages?

I see you have TABS open in Firefox, how many do you open at a time before this happens?
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    what are your CPU temps after it reboots??? maybe its your mobo rebooting out of safety.......
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    FOR FUXAKE PEOPLE! Stop guessing; he'll be chasing his tail for a bloody fortnight.

He's turned off autostart, so how can the system just reboot? If there's no BSOD then it's either mobo (very faint possibility), PSU or virus; anything else will BSOD.

@ Robert:
    It might look like I'm hounding you from my posts the last week or so, but I'm not.
    Stars... there's a link at the top of the page labelled Post Count & Members' Ranks.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@11 July 2004 - 23:41
    @ Robert:
    It might look like I'm hounding you from my posts the last week or so, but I'm not.
    Stars... there's a link at the top of the page labelled Post Count & Members' Ranks.
    Thanks chewie.

I'm not going to get 5 stars when i make my 1000th post, i'll need 5000
    Robert00000

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    @chewie, ok its definetly not a virus/trojan/worm bla bla...it is very possible that it is the PSU simply because it seems that it restarts when I am running bitcomet & firefox at the same time (not alot of CPU load but alot of bandwidth load)

I FINALLY got a BSOD (I was hoping it would'nt happen) which read the usual jabble along with this tag:

STOP - 0x00000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x000000000, 0x000000000) the zeros might be a bit off

I am soon to buy a new cpu and mobo...I guess I can pick up a new PSU as well, i'm going to tweakXP to see what they have on this, jeez, it's getting really annoying.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Titus808@12 July 2004 - 22:43
    @chewie, ok its definetly not a virus/trojan/worm bla bla...it is very possible that it is the PSU simply because it seems that it restarts when I am running bitcomet & firefox at the same time (not alot of CPU load but alot of bandwidth load)

I FINALLY got a BSOD (I was hoping it would'nt happen) which read the usual jabble along with this tag:

STOP - 0x00000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x000000000, 0x000000000) the zeros might be a bit off

I am soon to buy a new cpu and mobo...I guess I can pick up a new PSU as well, i'm going to tweakXP to see what they have on this, jeez, it's getting really annoying.
    Identifying the culprit in BSOD: http://www.ntbrad.com/bsod.htm
    Robert00000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast