Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Made Goldeneye On N64 So Great?

Poster
    Think about it, every one who's ever played it, loved it! It was just so fucking awesome, but why?!!! There's nothing in it that isn't in any average game that you can get now.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Games   -   #2
    Poster
    I dont know, i've been asking my self that lately, cuz i found this guys are making a mod for UT2004 about goldeneye and i cant wait to play it, but now that i remembered the damn game didt even had jump, IMHO i cant imagine a FPS without jump, anyways i remember that game was so cool, so was perfect dark....

3. Games   -   #3
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    /me gets his video game theoriest's cap on

There's probably a few reasons for it, but the fact that a decent game sticks and makes you question why is usually the sign of a classic game. Usually, it's is due to something that hasn't been done before, or it has been done before but not as well as it had done.

Unfortunately, I never had an N64 myself (I prefer a Dreamcast TBH ) and only had a few tries on Goldeneye round a mate's house. But here's something to get you going - What had it done (either properly or at all) that you never saw before at the time? What parts of Goldeneye have been ripped off by god knows how many clones since Goldeneye was released?

I'll give you some examples - Doom made god knows how many players shat themselves when it came out, Final Fantasy VII was one of the first (I know, not proper ) 3D RPG with an original story that had things never thought of before, Everything or Nothing became one of the first game-of-film-series games to have regular actors of the series to take part in the first solo game of the series, and Knights of the Old Republic had a plot that many players rated on the same quality as those of the first Star Wars films (i.e. Episode 4-6).

So have a think about it, but the main thing is to remember back then what made it special. Remember that the industry is an adaptive SOB where a lot of great ideas end up in god knows how many games over time, so what made Goldeneye's greatness obvious back then may not be as easy to pick out now

4. Games   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@12 July 2004 - 17:53
    /me gets his video game theoriest's cap on

There's probably a few reasons for it, but the fact that a decent game sticks and makes you question why is usually the sign of a classic game. Usually, it's is due to something that hasn't been done before, or it has been done before but not as well as it had done.

Unfortunately, I never had an N64 myself (I prefer a Dreamcast TBH ) and only had a few tries on Goldeneye round a mate's house. But here's something to get you going - What had it done (either properly or at all) that you never saw before at the time? What parts of Goldeneye have been ripped off by god knows how many clones since Goldeneye was released?

I'll give you some examples - Doom made god knows how many players shat themselves when it came out, Final Fantasy VII was one of the first (I know, not proper ) 3D RPG with an original story that had things never thought of before, Everything or Nothing became one of the first game-of-film-series games to have regular actors of the series to take part in the first solo game of the series, and Knights of the Old Republic had a plot that many players rated on the same quality as those of the first Star Wars films (i.e. Episode 4-6).

So have a think about it, but the main thing is to remember back then what made it special. Remember that the industry is an adaptive SOB where a lot of great ideas end up in god knows how many games over time, so what made Goldeneye's greatness obvious back then may not be as easy to pick out now
    So you mean that what made goldeneye so special was that it was original...

Maybe maybe

5. Games   -   #5
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I can't really put words in your mouth with Goldeneye - I really need to buy a Preowned N64 to answer that myself (then again, the price they're now in GAME... )

But like I said, there had to be something about the game that stuck in your memory. And most likely it'd be something that Goldeneye was the only/first game to do right. One thing I remembered myself was the dam jump, but that was only from the movie for me

Think of anything?

6. Games   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@12 July 2004 - 18:19
    I can't really put words in your mouth with Goldeneye - I really need to buy a Preowned N64 to answer that myself (then again, the price they're now in GAME... )

But like I said, there had to be something about the game that stuck in your memory. And most likely it'd be something that Goldeneye was the only/first game to do right. One thing I remembered myself was the dam jump, but that was only from the movie for me

Think of anything?
    The bungee jump on the first level "DAM", you dont have to buy a pre owned n64, get Pj64 on www.pj64.net and get yourself the rom off kazaa

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    Got a point,

The Photo-Realistic faces stuck onto the models,

The damage modeling (blood appearing where you shot someone)

The music

The Weapons

I prefer DC as well, has some of the best games ever made, in fact I'm downloading Illbleed now, I have the DC with 50+ games right next to me
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Games   -   #8
    Poster
    It was that whole multiplayer experience.

9. Games   -   #9
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    What Made Goldeneye On N64 So Great?

It was that whole multiplayer experience.
    But that wasnt all... it was the first good multi player game 4 a console.

at the time 007 first came out, fps games were not very popular. but on the pc they were much much better. 007 could not jump, roll, crawl, or even move very well.

but infact it did still hold out 2 b fun. the single player was challenging but not frustrating. and aiming was infact quite simple. w/ the amount of options and ease, the mutliplayer mode showed 2 b very thrilling.

the strange thing is tho, the N64 was not the most popular console and wen 007 first appeared, he was not even seen 2 much, i myself owned that game 4 about 1 1/2 years b4 i heard ppl started playing it a lot.
    tYiA

10. Games   -   #10
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    o and i 4got the most importang thing a video game needs and 007 had it...

THE LITTLE EXTRAS!!!

they made hats fly off, guns drop, glass break, dr's run around funny like and much more

WTG 007
    tYiA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast