Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pci Express

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Saw an ad for a crappy Dell with pci express today. Price seemed steep .

$1799 cnd .

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/p...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

128mb PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon x300 SE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Graphics: A full new lineup of PCI Express graphics cards for true to live video and games. The new line up features both the new ATITM  RadeonTM  X800 XT and new ATITM  RadeonTM  X300 SE.
    Apparantly so...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    What's so good about PCI Express?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@12 July 2004 - 12:13
    Graphics: A full new lineup of PCI Express graphics cards for true to live video and games. The new line up features both the new ATITM  RadeonTM  X800 XT and new ATITM  RadeonTM  X300 SE.
    Apparantly so...
    Well Kai , Glad I'm still waiting to upgrade . Don't see much choice here in canada,yet tho. Guess you need mobo that supports it, new type of memory too I'm guessing?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Vamp@12 July 2004 - 12:16
    Next generation ,to help us spend our money.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Memory: The New Dimension 8400 offers DDR2 Memory that enables clock speeds up to 533MGz for the ultimate PC performance.
    Yep, DDR2 is new as well
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Vamp@12 July 2004 - 15:16
    AGP was, i think, reaching it's speed limits, so they needed something new. This new PCI-Express offers much faster speeds than agp.

google it for more info.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    though i hear it wasnt working fully yet (as with any new technology), right now its even supposed to be slower than AGP

id wait a while before getting anything that new, let em work out the childdiseases first
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by Storm@13 July 2004 - 12:18
    though i hear it wasnt working fully yet (as with any new technology), right now its even supposed to be slower than AGP

id wait a while before getting anything that new, let em work out the childdiseases first
    Give this man a cookie.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    The technology is sorted, but the only cards currently available are graphics cards (AFAIK). any testing done has tried to utilise the GPU's features to the maximum, and has so far shown that the speed is more or less the same as AGP. But since the AGP port wasn't the bottleneck in that sort of test that's hardly surprising.

By definition this means that the GPU is the bottleneck so it hasn't tested bus performance.

Secondly, AGP is simply a branch from the PCI bus, albeit directly from the Northbridge. This means that when the AGP bus is in use, the rest of the PCI bus is blocked (and vice-versa), even though the Northbridge may be otherwise relatively free of traffic. With PCI-x each device has its own bus, so although individual speeds may not be much higher (at the moment) there is no bus conflict so overall performance potential is not limited in the same way.

That said, I think I'd wait for socket 939 with PCI-x. Real futureproof investment.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast