Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Vote In Your Country?

Assuming you live in a country that is not a dictatorship, how do you vote in your country?

Over here (well in my place montreal,canada) schools/church other buildings are converted to polling station. We get a letter that has the address of the polling station/number of box. We go get a slip of paper, black with white circles with the names of person/party to vote for beside it. We mark an X on that circle and drop it in the box.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Exactly the same set up over here too (UK)
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    What I really want to know how this is done in the U.S. I read something in the news about punch cards ?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Seeing a balding 47 year-old man peer at a butterfly ballot with a magnifying glass for 5 minutes, in order to determine if the voter was confused about their vote, is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in my life.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@14 July 2004 - 00:31
    What I really want to know how this is done in the U.S. I read something in the news about punch cards ?
    this year the new hanging chad will be the electronic voting systems. The company that makes them is a big republican supporter and the idea of a fixed election is very scary at this point. Furthermore, the Bush administration is actually considering delaying the elections because of terrorism, and no one seems to care about this.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    You get a letter that tells you where to vote, if you&#39;re "lucky" you get drafted to man a polling station (paperwork + vote count).

Two ways of voting :

* Electronic vote, ~40% of the stations
    * Manual vote, the rest

Pick either one party, one or more candidates within a party, one or more succesors within a party, a mix of candidates/succesors within a party, or vote blank. When voting electronically, you can vote "invalid" by damaging the magnetic strip on the voting card; when voting manually, you can vote "invalid" by damaging the ballot (drawing, ripping, etc.).

Both systems have been mad idiot-proof, a single count is all it takes to know the outcome.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by manker@14 July 2004 - 05:27

If you are lucky, you get a voting form through the post with enough time to fill it in and send it back. If you are really lucky you will even have been sent one which applies to the correct voting district.

You then have to fill in your name and address on a separate declaration sheet, sign it in front of a witness who also has to sign and fill in their name and address.

Then you put the voting form in an envelope, put that envelope and the declaration sheet into a second envelope. Then if there is sufficient time you put that in the post box and hope it gets delivered. Otherwise you have to drive to a central office (which may be 30 miles away or more) in order to deliver it by hand.

Still, if Blunkett has his way this will soon be a Police State so we won&#39;t need to worry about elections.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Originally posted by fred devliegher@14 July 2004 - 10:10

You get a letter that tells you where to vote, if you&#39;re "lucky"&nbsp; you get drafted to man a polling station (paperwork + vote count).

Two ways of voting :

* Electronic vote, ~40% of the stations
    * Manual vote, the rest

Pick either one party, one or more candidates within a party, one or more succesors within a party, a mix of candidates/succesors within a party, or vote blank. When voting electronically, you can vote "invalid" by damaging the magnetic strip on the voting card; when voting manually, you can vote "invalid" by damaging the ballot (drawing, ripping, etc.).

Both systems have been mad idiot-proof, a single count is all it takes to know the outcome.
    Where?

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by lynx+14 July 2004 - 16:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 14 July 2004 - 16:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@14 July 2004 - 05:27

If you are lucky, you get a voting form through the post with enough time to fill it in and send it back. If you are really lucky you will even have been sent one which applies to the correct voting district.

You then have to fill in your name and address on a separate declaration sheet, sign it in front of a witness who also has to sign and fill in their name and address.

Then you put the voting form in an envelope, put that envelope and the declaration sheet into a second envelope. Then if there is sufficient time you put that in the post box and hope it gets delivered. Otherwise you have to drive to a central office (which may be 30 miles away or more) in order to deliver it by hand.

Still, if Blunkett has his way this will soon be a Police State so we won&#39;t need to worry about elections. [/b][/quote]
    Same here

On bright side, i was really lucky this time....but 3 of my neighbours didnt get a ballot paper and had to ring in.

The Council hand delivered em

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    @ ZaZu

Where?
    Flanders, Belgium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast