Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thirteenth Vote

manker's Avatar effendi
    *Please note this is not a topic disagreeing with a mods decision, my opinion is my own and is not in any way stated in this post. this is merely a post questioning the validity of a voting system and a proposal - so no need for rule # 12

As quoted by one of the team it seems the mods vote on Sam's moderation was decided by a "Forum Star"

According to my member search, previous to the shock double resignation of 2 of the team - for an unrelated incident apparently - there were 5 Forum Stars: Bender, El Jefe, Lamsey, Paul and VB. Most of these haven't posted for a long time. So you'd think that four of the five can be discounted due to the amount of time they have been absent (at least 8 months) - would be a bit strange to turn up just for a vote they knew nothing about and then leave, eh? That leaves Lamsey I suppose, if it was him then fair enough. Is there any way to find out?

If not him then I would consider the Thirteenth Vote to be fairly worthless, how can someone who hasn't been around for at least 8 months have an equal say to a moderator and have more say in how this board is run that all the members put together?

I propose that instead of the Thirteenth Vote a poll is put up on this section of the board where all members can vote either for indefinite moderation or an outright ban. The indefinite moderation can, of course, be managed by the current team at their discretion. I consider that in itself to be a compromise After all an Admin did state that there were as many members who didn't like Sam as there are members who do like him.

This would be a good way to find out.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I'm not sure if BOT voted. If not, I had the 13th vote, while I was a Mod at the time.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I was reacting to this post. I see what you mean though.

I still think a public vote with the options described is a good compromise tho'
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Oh OK, at first I wasn't sure what you were talking about, its kind of late here, and I'm pretty sleepy...

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Good idea.

yo4

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Could you imagine needing to count those votes? ?

What with all of the members who have more then 1 account, who is gonna make sure they only vote 1 time per member and not once per account? Sounds like something that can only end in another endless dissagreement.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by manker@13 July 2004 - 09:03

I still think a public vote with the options described is a good compromise tho'
    if you'd read that thread then i dont see a need for this one. everything was explained on page 2 of it

i was confused myself at first about a 13th vote after looking at the team list link and seeing 12 names, but as Rip said and was already explained in that thread, there were another two mod team members when the poll was started

it wasn't a decision taken lightly, as you can tell the poll itself lasted a few days and only came about because of other threads

as for a member vote, are you suggesting that every decision made by mods/admin have to be approved by the members first. wonder how that would work

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by pol+13 July 2004 - 10:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pol @ 13 July 2004 - 10:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@13 July 2004 - 09:03

I still think a public vote with the options described is a good compromise tho&#39;
    if you&#39;d read that thread then i dont see a need for this one. everything was explained on page 2 of it

i was confused myself at first about a 13th vote after looking at the team list link and seeing 12 names, but as Rip said and was already explained in that thread, there were another two mod team members when the poll was started

it wasn&#39;t a decision taken lightly, as you can tell the poll itself lasted a few days and only came about because of other threads

as for a member vote, are you suggesting that every decision made by mods/admin have to be approved by the members first. wonder how that would work [/b][/quote]
    Yeah I realise that now. As I posted earlier in my reply to RTJ.

I&#39;m not suggesting each and every decision is taken with the aid of a member vote - that would be impractical - but in instances such as this where there is great discord among members and moderators alike, then yes, I think it would be helpful and a it would give some closure on the matter.

Kinda like how a referendum isn&#39;t taken with every decision the UK Government makes, just on matters which split parliament and the general public.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by manker+13 July 2004 - 10:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 13 July 2004 - 10:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by pol@13 July 2004 - 10:17
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker
    @13 July 2004 - 09:03

I still think a public vote with the options described is a good compromise tho&#39;

if you&#39;d read that thread then i dont see a need for this one. everything was explained on page 2 of it

it wasn&#39;t a decision taken lightly, as you can tell the poll itself lasted a few days and only came about because of other threads

as for a member vote, are you suggesting that every decision made by mods/admin have to be approved by the members first. wonder how that would work
    Yeah I realise that now. As I posted earlier in my reply to RTJ.

I&#39;m not suggesting each and every decision is taken with the aid of a member vote - that would be impractical - but in instances such as this where there is great discord among members and moderators alike, then yes, I think it would be helpful and a it would give some closure on the matter.

Kinda like how a referendum isn&#39;t taken with every decision the UK Government makes, just on matters which split parliament and the general public. [/b][/quote]

the problem is the mods/admins decision are supposed to give closure on the matter. members who would be voting wouldn&#39;t know all the facts, warn levels and previous warnings/moderations etc

comparisons with referendums and the like just seem absurd to me. it&#39;s an internet forum, and we have to stick to the rules of running it to keep it fair for everyone, as i said before despite how popular someone is

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Edit: One good idea would be to let us know you are having a vote and ask for people&#39;s opinions before you all vote. That way at least we feel that we have been listened to. If a vote goes against people then so be it, at least the board&#39;s opinion has been listened to. Which can only be a good thing.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast