Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent Has Slowed Down My Pc

Poster
    Hi there i need someone to help me over this my op system is windows xp i have a new fast computer but everytime i put on either bit torrent or kazaa lite my computer slows right down i cant use it to browse the internet and when i go to turn it off i cant get it to turn off i have to do it manually. I use AOL i dont know whether that has anything to do with it? Anyway can any of you help me to configure my pc so i'm not having this problem.

Anxies :helpsmile:

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster
    Reduce your bandwidth settings, particularly for uploads.

Stick to one download at a time.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    have tried that and no joy still exactly the same.

thanks though.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    every program you run is gonna slow down your comp.....

what are you comp specs? what kinda connection are you on?

what are you running besides BT?

if you have broadband, reduce upload speed to 80% of max
    if on dial up, reduce to 1-2KB/s

btw, if you can, get a real ISP........ AOL makes dogs shit look good..........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Check which processes are using up all your memory/cpu time when u run a filesharing program, (do this by pushing ctrl,alt,delete and in the processes tab sort by cpu or ram used). It may well be that it isn't the actual filesharing program but rather your firewall or something else in which case you should probably use adifferent program
    If it is your filesharing program then:
    perhaps try a different bittorrent downloader, azureus in particular i think is known to sometimes consume a lot of ram and so can cause big slow downs.
    Kazaa lite uses a lot of cpu or ram (can't remember which) when you have a lot of downloads in the download window, it doesn't matter if they're active or queued.

If you're using win 98 your computer won't be able handle many simultaneous connections so you'll have to limit this in each filesharing programs settings

And yeah aol might be causing problems as well, cos its a big pile of crap

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    It could also be viruses or adware/spyware trojans killing the connection. Bittorrent running at the same time may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    What BT client are you using?

Regarding the usual AOL is crap comments, probably from the people who have never used it, its fine when you know how to set it up.
    Before all the flames start, i have no problem with AOL, its just the "knee jerk" reactions to it on here that get quite tiresome.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Hi am using suprnova cause it has such good reviews on here.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Suprnova is not the client you are using, it is the website you get your downloads from. A client is the program used to download bittorrent files (e.g Azureus, bittornado, abc or torrentstorm). Have a look at a bittorrent file you are downloading and at the top of the window you'll see (hopefully) the program name.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Why not provide more system info.....cpu/amout of ram..maybe you just don't have sufficient amout of ram? Turn off the built in firewall in XP if it's running along side another. As some have stated, check what programs are running, see what is using up cpu - memory.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast