Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Dumb Blonde Jokes Slow Mental Activity?

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    BERLIN (Reuters) - Blondes perform intelligence tests more slowly after reading jokes playing on their supposed stupidity, said psychologists in a newly published German study.

Some 80 women of various hair colors were tested on their mental capacity to work quickly and precisely in a series of psychometric tests. Before sitting the tests, half the participants had to read "dumb blonde" jokes, such as:

"Why do blondes open yogurt pots while still at the supermarket? -- Because it says 'Open Here' on the lid."

"No blonde woman believes she is stupid," said Jens Foerster a social psychologist from the International University Bremen in northern Germany on Wednesday.

"But after exposure to negative social-stereotypes about them, the fair-haired participants performed significantly more slowly in the tests."

Foerster explained the result by saying that when people are told they can't perform a task well, they work more slowly but more cautiously, to try to make fewer mistakes.

"The study shows that even unfounded prejudices generally dismissed as untrue can affect an individual's confidence in their own ability," said Foerster.

Source

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Originally posted by ZaZu@14 July 2004 - 16:42
    Foerster explained the result by saying that when people are told they can't perform a task well, they work more slowly but more cautiously, to try to make fewer mistakes.

"The study shows that even unfounded prejudices generally dismissed as untrue can affect an individual's confidence in their own ability," said Foerster.
    yep, so true. just like me.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Ah blonde jokes are stupid anyway.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    does anyone actually think that blondes are dumber ?

or is it that dumb blondes stick out more than brunettes ?
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I thought the reference to dumb blondes had nothing to do with natural hair colour.

It does in fact refer to those women who obtained blondeness by dipping their heads in vats of bleach. Therefore whatever their previous hair colour, their very dumbness in thinking that this would be a good idea defines their ongoing dumbness - albeit now in a state of blondeness.

Or at least something like that.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Blonde jokes stem from female insecurity.

Blonde women with blue eyes are a phenotypic rarity and are admired for their uniqueness.

Given the overwhelming attention given to them, the reactive response in those not so bestowed is to declare them stupid. This is also the reponse of the men ignored by them.

Men, who CAN get some action from these ladies could care less about brains and are more into "hotness" and the women who want to disrespect them are contradicted by all those dying their hair to mimic them.

Ever hear of a blonde dying her hair brown/black/ or red?

Sorry folks, the reactive jealousy reflects more on the insecurity of the accusors than supporting the contention that the intelligence of the natural blonde is suspect.

Yes, I do have blonde hair and blue eyes. Just think what change I could have wrought upon the world if I were not so afflicted?!
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    IMO, blondes who keep there hair are, while hot, very dumb woman...couldn't care less though.

usually the smarter blondes die their hair..

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 July 2004 - 04:23
    ...Ever hear of a blonde dying her hair brown/black/ or red?...
    Why yes, yes I have. My little sister's hair has run the gamut from dark brown/almost black to a very ugly red. Now it's ruined and she's tried to bleach it back to its natural, very blonde, colour. At least, that's the only reason I can think of for dying your hair the same colour as it's been since birth.

It's sad to say she fits the blonde/high-school-popular stereotype though. To a T. Maybe it's because she has brown eyes, and not blue?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Fantastic, the total, reaches 1.

Anyone heard of a woman dying her hair blonde?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    A number of her friends have done it too, if that's any help.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast