Thread: Xbox Modchip

asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    What is the easyest mod chip to install, that dosent involve soldering. I havent ever installed a modchip before. I have a place that will install a modchip on my xbox and install the 120g drive and load all the stuff into it, but i am scared i wont get it back, and waste my money.

EDIT: I was looking at http://www.modchipstore.com/ just now, is that a place that i can trust to send my system.

2. Games   -   #2
    the Xenium + solderless adapter is supposedly an easy install. i got the solderless Xecuter chip and absolutely could not get it to make proper contact after several hours of fiddling with it. i could get some of the LED indicators to light up, but not all of them. people say the Xenium is much easier, and less prone to slipping off the contacts after it's installed.

you should be aware that the motherboard's contact points are MUCH smaller than they appear in photos you may have looked at (or will look at), so it requires a steady hand and a lot of patience for a first-timer to install any Xbox chip. also, it's all too easy to over-tighten the screw that holds the solderless chip down and strip the thread (of the Xbox's plastic case)...if that happens, you'll pretty much never get the chip to maintain a firm contact. so you can take your chances with that, or you can forget your worries and just have a professional solder a chip in for you.

as for installation services... yeah, a lot of sites out there do look pretty shifty, so i know how nervous you are about sending a $150 machine to some people you know nothing about. i've only used one shop for an installation, so far. had them install a chip in my original PSX years ago, but they're still in business and i've bought other things from them recently. as far as i know they're pretty reliable, if you're willing to send your Xbox to canada (you'd prolly wanna write "sending for repair" on the customs declaration, rather than "modchip installation"). their prices are fair, and that includes the cost of return by UPS. check 'em out: http://www.gocybershop.ca/

3. Games   -   #3
    I am looking for a modchip install, New HDD, and the programs needed.

I was looking at xbox-scene, and carolinamodservices.com looks like there relible from them.

I dont really want to send my xbox, so mabey i will sell it, and get a new one.

4. Games   -   #4
    from what i've heard, you will be hard pressed to find any shops that are willing to install any software for you because it requires the use of a hacked BIOS (aka firmware) that includes Microsoft's code. i've only ever seen offers to install the chip with a Linux-compatible BIOS and then you have to download a BIOS-flashing disc on your own. basically that keeps Microsoft from coming down on them 'cause they're not providing you with anything illegal (only an option to either install Linux or update to an illegal BIOS).

5. Games   -   #5
    Well is it hard to install the BIOS?

6. Games   -   #6
    shouldn't be. haven't done it myself, still planning to get my Xbox modded. but as far as i know, there are disc images that include a BIOS and a replacement dashboard. your modchip will have a switch outside of the Xbox to enable/disable flashing. so you enable BIOS flashing, stick the disc in, then it should prolly have instructions to walk you through it. prolly just involves pressing a couple of buttons on your game controller, maybe a couple of minutes for the chip to flash, then you can go ahead and install the new dashboard. turn the machine off, flip the switch back to no-flash mode, boot up again, and do whatever you wanna do re: installing programs and stuff.