Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by HCT@14 July 2004 - 19:55
    I thank you for your help but doing all that made things worse. After I did the repair windows would not start so I had to reinstall widows again
    Shit happens , make your password something easy then . Hows about oh PASSWORD . Ya thats it .

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    All the security sites say never make the password obvious and never write it down.

I'll agree with the first part, but as you've found out the second part is total crap for a home system. What's going to happen? Someone is going to break into your home, steal the items they can sell easily (TV, video, computer etc) and then search around for a while to see if you've written the computer password down somewhere? Not very likely is it.

If you are going to password protect it, write it down
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 10:38
    But don't write it on your tv or video.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by SnnY+15 July 2004 - 13:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 15 July 2004 - 13:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@15 July 2004 - 10:38
    But don&#39;t write it on your tv or video. [/b][/quote]
    Oh, I don&#39;t know.

Just imagine them trying to sell the stolen goods.

"I&#39;m not touching that shit, you need a password just to watch telly."
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by lynx+15 July 2004 - 14:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 15 July 2004 - 14:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SnnY@15 July 2004 - 13:04
    <!--QuoteBegin-lynx
    @15 July 2004 - 10:38

But don&#39;t write it on your tv or video.
    Oh, I don&#39;t know.

"I&#39;m not touching that shit, you need a password just to watch telly." [/b][/quote]
    yeah, the best way to keep from people stealin yo shit: fuck it up.......... use markers to write your naam on the plastic of your tv and monitor...... and your comp....... well mod it into an old case and put an old 486 sticker on it (plus do a nice fake "turbo button" mod )
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Storm@15 July 2004 - 16:07
    use markers to write your naam on the plastic of your tv and monitor
    On the plastic?

They just said write it on your telly, they never told me THAT bit.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 04:38
    All the security sites say never make the password obvious and never write it down.

I&#39;ll agree with the first part, but as you&#39;ve found out the second part is total crap for a home system. What&#39;s going to happen? Someone is going to break into your home, steal the items they can sell easily (TV, video, computer etc) and then search around for a while to see if you&#39;ve written the computer password down somewhere? Not very likely is it.

Or use the same password for every site + windows + bios setup + bank card. :-"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I actually don&#39;t use a pass for my bios, haven&#39;t needed it yet as only people I trust have access to my &#39;puter right now...

with regards to the original question, you might want to install xp on another partition, so you can get to any files you might want on the first one, if anything is/was restricted to admin access.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by Storm+15 July 2004 - 17:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 15 July 2004 - 17:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 14:07
    Originally posted by SnnY@15 July 2004 - 13:04
    <!--QuoteBegin-lynx
    @15 July 2004 - 10:38

But don&#39;t write it on your tv or video.

Oh, I don&#39;t know.

"I&#39;m not touching that shit, you need a password just to watch telly."
    yeah, the best way to keep from people stealin yo shit: fuck it up.......... use markers to write your naam on the plastic of your tv and monitor...... and your comp....... well mod it into an old case and put an old 486 sticker on it (plus do a nice fake "turbo button" mod ) [/b][/quote]
    Sounds hawt

Any pics?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by SnnY@15 July 2004 - 15:33
    I actually don&#39;t use a pass for my bios, haven&#39;t needed it yet as only people I trust have access to my &#39;puter right now...

with regards to the original question, you might want to install xp on another partition, so you can get to any files you might want on the first one, if anything is/was restricted to admin access.
    I had to start using one becuase my friend kept changing the processor speed to make it slower. (can choose between 200mhz and 266mhz fsb)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast