Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had This Problem For About A Month Now...

Hi I had this problem when I download something on YET ABC my speed is low(0-2/kb) (and I have no uploads) with short bursts of high speeds(10-15/kb) but then goes back to low ones after a while but im on adsl(router) but my speeds are low(and most of the time it's just 0/kb download and upload, this only seems to happen to ABC) so I started searching the net for solutions and yesterday I found one (you see I had this yellow light problem which i finally fixed by port forwarding 6881-6881) which made my speed fly up to 100kb/s(download) and about 40kb/s (upload) I was so happy about that but then the next day even though my light was green my speed(both download and upload) returned back to 0-2kb/s Im starting to think its my running proccess but I have ended some but seemed to have no effect... then I thought it was because of my antivirus program(norton antivirus) but i dont have a firewall so that idea ended quickly...I dont know what is the problem can anyone help me?????
    P.S. My internet turns slow when Im using ABC or when I have another explorer window open could these be related?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Originally posted by Digital Nirvana@14 July 2004 - 21:10
    You need to portforward.

~Digital Nirvana
    Yeah thats what I did already but the sunbelievably slow speed came back...

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Originally posted by JHD1489@14 July 2004 - 21:15
    Yeah thats what I did already but the sunbelievably slow speed came back...
    :"> eh whoops, i should read more carefully.. In that case, the only thing i can think of is that there just isnt enought seeds for the file you want. .. To fix your "interent turning slow'', i would limt the max download speed for ABC..
    Also version 2.6.9 of ABC just came out recently, you might want to upgrade.

~Digital Nirvana

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    muchspl2
    you only opened one port
    open 6881-6889

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Originally posted by muchspl2@14 July 2004 - 22:45
    you only opened one port
    open 6881-6889
    oops i forgot to mention that too...i also opened up that but it still has no effect... and digital nirvana ill try what you told me...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Originally posted by muchspl2@14 July 2004 - 18:45
    you only opened one port
    open 6881-6889
    You should avoid using the standard BitTorrent ports - 6881-6999 - some ISP's block those ports instead use for example 52340-52350

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by JHD1489@14 July 2004 - 16:07
    I thought it was because of my antivirus program(norton antivirus) but i dont have a firewall so that idea ended quickly...
    Norton Antivirus contains some firewall features. Also, just having that installed can be slowing your system down -- worse yet, if the firewall stuff in Norton AV is active, it may be causing problems directly by losing data/slowing data arrival.

It's possible to not be firewalled and still have problems due to crappy computer software and cheap hardware.

Use GOOGLE, do a little research on the exact equipment and software you're using. It'll probably give you some clues as to the cause/s of your slowness on BitTorrent.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    thanx for the suggestions guys...zazu ill try your suggestion about the port forwarding

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    The only times when I've had slow d/l speed and then bursts of fast speed is when there are only a few people in the torrent, or only one or two seeds with few people in the torrent.

How many seeds and leechers are in your torrent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast