Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Drivers

I had just system restored my computer and all the programs work except the drivers in the computer, such as the speaker and printer drives (yes they are plugged in). when i go to the control panel, and click on system>device management, it says that the speaker, printer and such are not installed and can't find the hardware. my computer only came with one system restore cd and some guy from the computer store said that i need to reinstall my built in driver and i don't know how to do this without a cd.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Speakers don't use drivers, it's your sound card it is needing drivers for...

try right clicking the devices, then going to uninstall, then restart and it will autodetect and try to install them...see what happens.

also tell us what sound card, printer, and the other devices, that you have (make and model please).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thank you for responding, i did uinstall and restart and it detected the hardware but when i went to install it it says that it is unable to respond. the drivers that werre uninstalled included ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, smbus controller and video controller

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    install SP1 (go to www.windowsupdate.com and download it) (provided you can get a net connection) and install SP1 then after retsarting and trying the uninstall\restart trick it should install them...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    unfortunately i don't have internet connection on that computer because the ethernet controller is uninstalled as well when i restart the computer a pop up message is displayed saying that the installed hardware is not starting and under device manager, it has a question mark beside it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What kind of computer is this?
    A manufactured one ( Dell, etc.) or a built from parts machine?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by DarkFire@14 July 2004 - 16:49
    unfortunately i don't have internet connection on that computer because the ethernet controller is uninstalled as well when i restart the computer a pop up message is displayed saying that the installed hardware is not starting and under device manager, it has a question mark beside it
    This should help .
    http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    That or this.

The latter has everything you can think of. Be sure to read the driver reveiws though if you decide to go this route.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by sampson@15 July 2004 - 00:16
    That or this.

The latter has everything you can think of.  Be sure to read the driver reveiws though if you decide to go this route.
    Sampson he needs to know the make , model first thats why I suggest UDI it sure beats taking the computer apart to read the fine print. Then DRIVERS , ALL . But you'v done this before !

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by peat moss@15 July 2004 - 08:55
    Then DRIVERS , ALL .
    Thanks for that, is saves me looking at those links.

Sounds like it is the chipset drivers which aren't installed, but of course these should have been installed by the system restore cd. There is only one reason why they haven't been installed - it is the wrong cd for that machine.

This is actually quite common, the only difference between disks for different models is often the chipset drivers. But the people packing the computers aren't made aware that there's an important difference, so the wrong cd sometimes gets put in the box. Of course, this is only a problem if you actually have to use the restore cd, most people don't.

There are two solutions, find out the board manufacturer or chipset, and go to their site to download the drivers (you will obviously need to do this on another pc with a cd burner and burn the file onto cd), or take the disk back to where you got it from, ask them to provide the correct cd, then do a system restore again. The first option sounds easier to me.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast