Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antifreeze

muchspl2
    Why Is Antifreeze So Delicious?
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2103821/?GT1=4244

A New Jersey woman has pleaded not guilty to murdering her brother-in-law with an antifreeze-spiked drink. According to prosecutors, Maryann Neabor's weapon of choice was a blended concoction of pineapple juice, maraschino cherries, and several ounces of the deadly automotive additive. As in similar past cases, the victim was oblivious to his drink's lethality, since antifreeze actually tastes pretty good. Why is something so deadly so delicious?

Ethylene glycol is the ingredient that makes antifreeze tasty. Though colorless and odorless, the syrupy alcohol derivative—which is excellent at lowering the freezing points of vital engine fluids—has a sweet taste that jibes well with soda, juice, and other sugary beverages. As many concerned pet owners and parents are well aware, dogs, cats, and kids are prone to lap up puddles of antifreeze left on garage floors. Every year, 90,000 animals and 4,000 children ingest the toxic liquid; if not treated immediately, the consequences of the poisoning can include renal or cardiovascular failure, brain damage, and death.

For obvious reasons, there's been quite a bit of agitation for safer, less scrumptious antifreeze. One solution has been the development of antifreezes, including one called SIERRA, that replace ethylene glycol with propylene glycol, a liquid that's nontoxic enough to be used as a sweetener in children's cough syrup. But propylene glycol costs significantly more than ethylene glycol.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I don't understand this.

Why don't the makers add something inexpensive to make antifreeze taste like shit or at least smell like it?

Read this in the subway paper as well.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #3
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Belive it or not, it actually is pretty good. I just put a tab on my finger and licked it off, it's pretty sweet.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I just drank a glass of it last night. (nothing to drink last night).

5. Lounge   -   #5
    muchspl2
    uh yea
    antifreeze is the shit
    you only need alittle bit to get you fucked up, like in The Simpsons episode where Bart gets sent to France as an exchange student, them crooked wine makers would put some antifreeze in the wine to give it some kick.
    antifreeze is the new drug, I think everyone shoud try it, it gives you a KILLER buzz

6. Lounge   -   #6
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Busyman@14 July 2004 - 23:59
    I don't understand this.

Why don't the makers add something inexpensive to make antifreeze taste like shit or at least smell like it?

Read this in the subway paper as well.
    because it would raise the cooling temp and highten the freeze point, they have alternatives like Engine Ice etc

7. Lounge   -   #7
    muchspl2
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

6,000 people from an internet message board called "KL Board" died tonight from antifreeze poisoning. "He just wanted to see what it tasted like" says the mother of one of the dead.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@14 July 2004 - 23:30
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

6,000 people from an internet message board called "KL Board" died tonight from antifreeze poisoning. "He just wanted to see what it tasted like" says the mother of one of the dead.
    ...among the first to die was someone known as rookiecrd1...

9. Lounge   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Some of the more serious deaths were of those member calling themselves 'the geppers'. All suffered painful deaths after their ralley to keep drinking the antifreese until the admin (who had already died from antifreeze poisoning) unbanned samsamsamsam (also, already dead...).

10. Lounge   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Hey here in canada there is an alternative it tates sour so the pet's don't drink it . Sad thing is it costs twice as much. Is that fucked or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast