Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The World Coming To

What kind of a world are we living in, where if you stand up for yourself, you're bound to get beaten the shit out of?

I mean, me and my girlfriend were riding our bikes down the street, minding our own business, when we passed a bunch of kids of about our own age (17-18 year olds). They started yelling some real bad shit at my girlfriend, for no reason at all. Where I live (the Netherlands) this isn't too uncommon, as there are a lot of kids from bad neighborhoods around who don't give a shit about peoples rights, and are bent at pissing people off. I for once though, had had it, I'd had a really bad day and flipped them off just as we were rounding a corner (they we're still yelling things at us). Big mistake. They at once jumped on their bikes and chased after us, although we didn't change our pace and tried not show our panic at this new development. Luckily, they went their own ways not too long after that, but it left me with some troubling thoughts as to what could've happened.

I realize I made a big mistake in losing my cool and not ignoring them as I should have, and thereby potentially endangering my girlfriend... but the fact remains that this kind of thing happens here every day. This is to me one of many signs of how fucked up our society is. I find it insane that my girlfriend has to deal with these kinds of things, people yelling shit at her for no reason at all, every day. I'm curious whether this is also true in other parts of the world (or of the Netherlands), or that maybe this is just a big problem in my town.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Although im informed it happens all over, i have yet to see it where I live...

Or any of the places close by come to that...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I believe it is this kind of thing that has resulted in the Scottish Parliament giving the Police additional powers to break up groups of young neds (Chavs in England I believe) hanging around street corners. (neds = Non-Educated Delinquents )

Although not troubled by them overly in my small town they do exist. My daughter has crossed their paths a couple of times. The last resulting in severe violence to the boy that spat in her hair. I understand from the school that she demonstrated the dangers of getting ones head trapped in a door using the youth in question as an example. (Thank God there were witnesses he started it) Since then, things have been quiet. Perhaps suggesting that the Police should be issued with doors.

The trouble is the culture at home is the one they reflect on the street. Society begins at home and if there is no respect for people and their wellbeing in the home then there is little chance of it being legislated for.

However, it is easy to over-react to individual horror stories. Such sub-cultures have always existed. London, for example, was a far more violent and dangerous place in the 19th century than it is now. On the whole, these are the good old days.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Ned = Charva here, so im informed by my son......

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    arrogant, rude, hypocritical, unconscious, snobbish, idiotic, indifferent... kind of people are more and more popular and welcomed in this society especially in third-world countries.

the world is in low-moral state, thats what Buddha told:
    Three periods, the moral of society is the highest in the first period(1000 years) during Buddha's life( Buddha was born about 2500 years ago), the second is 1000 or 2000 years( I don't quite remember) when moral is ok. and now we are in the third period, the worst. personally I felt something has changed dramatically in 1996.
    ban band ban

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Originally posted by elitek@15 July 2004 - 20:18
    arrogant, rude, hypocritical, unconscious, snobbish, idiotic, indifferent... kind of people are more and more popular and welcomed in this society especially in third-world countries.
    What are you baseing that on?

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by ZaZu+16 July 2004 - 00:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZaZu @ 16 July 2004 - 00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-elitek@15 July 2004 - 20:18
    What are you baseing that on? [/b][/quote]
    which part
    ban band ban

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    oh, I thought It&#39;s been bold by myself

I read many stories about the human right and injustice kind of stuffs
    and the goverments try to deny the facts
    ban band ban

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    from the global perspective, the whole world is sinking, just take U.K and New Zeland as examples, crime rate in U.K rises so high even higher than the U.S(probably not murder rate), its not a "gentleman" society anymore, New Zeland pretty much follows U.K it&#39;s not as peaceful and quiet as you think.
    ban band ban

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by elitek@16 July 2004 - 01:15
    from the global perspective, the whole world is sinking, just take U.K and New Zeland as examples, crime rate in U.K rises so high even higher than the U.S(probably not murder rate), its not a "gentleman" society anymore, New Zeland pretty much follows U.K it&#39;s not as peaceful and quiet as you think.
    Crime per Capita, New Zealand is 2nd in the world at 108.12 per 1000 population (Dominica is 1st @ 112.79)

The thing is, that number is totally meaningless.

What is a Crime in one country isnt in another.

An example... Is Jaywalking or Hitchiking a "Crime" where you live?

Now if your talking "Violent Crime" then please define which type...

For example New Zealand falls to 12th place at 0.21 per 1000 population in "Rape"...still quite high up that world league, but less than a third as many as Australia in 3rd place (0.79), Canada in 5th (0.74) but close to USA at 9th (0.30)...but still nearly twice UK at 13th (0.14).

For Murder:

USA leads the "West" at 24th place with a wopping 0.04 per 1000 population. Not bad when you consider Columbia (1st place) at 0.63 or 2nd place South Africa (0.51).

But thats still 4 times higher than either UK or New Zealand (both at 0.01 and near the bottom of the table)

BTW:
    Want to know who lead the world here? The Lowest Rape and Murder per capita of population? Why those "savages" in the Arab States of course.... Saudi Arabia and Yemen etc...

Arent Statistics wonderful?

Source = Nationmaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast