Thread: Cd Rewriter Problem

dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Having a problem with my cd rewriter, when I burn a disc with say 14 tracks(audio), the first 7 are perfect but the second 7 are awful(corrupted) and won't play properly.
    When I burn a vcd, the first 3/4 of the film is fine but the last 1/4 is awful.

This is what I've tried;
    I've updated the drivers for my rewriter.
    Removed Nero6 and installed Nero5.5(I know that my copy of 5.5 works).
    Sworn at it.
    Had sex with the cat.
    Kicked my wife.
    Attempted suicide.
    Watched an episode of Friends(how low can I go?).
    Threatened the butcher that I'm gonna turn Vegan.
    Squashed an ant.
    Then got really angry and crushed a grape!!!

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

Is there a cleaner for rewriters that might help?

Can anyone help cos it's driving me nuts???

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Dont know whats wrong but you can buy those cleaning cd's that have those tiny little bushes on them that clean the lens. You can give it a try.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Cheers mate, will give it a try, had the rewriter for just over a year and it started playing up about 2 weeks ago, just after the guarantee ran out!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I don't think that cleaning the lazer will cure your problem, because if the lens was dirty you'd have problems burning all over the disc, not just on the outer 'half'.

I'm not an expert but it sounds more terminal to me - laser going weak (the outer sectors passing the laser faster than the inner sectors) or the transport becoming worn.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    the only suggestions I can think of is ensure DMA is enabled for the drive (check with Nero info tool )..Try upgrading the firmware for the drive..Heres a couple of links cdfreaks and the firmware page maybe you can find some help there

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Thanks guys, appreciate your suggestions.

I downloaded "White Chicks" earlier, then burnt the 1st half to cd and watched it on my tv, wasn't gonna waste another disc if the end corrupted, it didn't so I burnt the 2nd half onto cd, it was perfect, best telesync I've ever seen!

Maybe it's the discs I bought, got a stack of 100 for £20 from pcworld and got a duff batch?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by dodgy368@18 July 2004 - 01:02
    Maybe it's the discs I bought, got a stack of 100 for £20 from pcworld and got a duff batch?
    Go HERE and get Datasafe/Datawrite, Verbatim or Taiyo Yunden CD-Rs. They're not all cheaper than those you bought @ PCW but they're probably all better quality by a country mile and a half.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mattesca's Avatar Poster
    that sucks about ur garantee running out, companies do that to there products sometimes
    AMD Mobile 2400XP @ 2500Mhz 1.75Vcore = 2.5Ghz
    Abit NF7-S with SP-97 heatsink
    OCZ 2X256MB Pc3200 2-2-2-5
    Antec 400watt PSU
    120GB WD HDD
    MSI 9800XT
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Black Chieftec Matrix w/ 5BlueLED Case Fans
    800watt Sony/Bose Speaker System

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by mattesca@21 July 2004 - 02:42
    that sucks about ur garantee running out, companies do that to there products sometimes
    In the UK, all products sold 'new' have to be covered by at least a 12 month warranty; this is law.
    At first, that sounds like it's a law to protect the consumer from crap goods that break or go wrong after, say, a couple of months and although it does do that, this is just a side-effect.
    The real reason for the 12 month warranty lies in another law that states products must function properly for 'a reasonable period of time'. Without the 12 month rule it would be possible to argue that you could reasonably expect some products to continue working properly for a very long time, therefore it is a limit to protect manufacturers from claims.
    This is fine for plastic toys but it really pisses me off to hear people have a product go faulty after 13 months and have no option but to bin it. I've had this on several occaisions (fucking expensive Hi-Fi CD player I got in '88)- sometimes before I've finished the payments (sofa, TV).