Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting A New Pc

TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    i tell her it will be a rip off to pay £1000 for a new PC so im gonna try and persuad her to let me build one.. its mainly going to be used for word prossessing so it doesnt need to be anything special. so exactly what components (to make sure i get everything) will i need, i.e. motherboard processor lets see if i forget anything.
    • processor
    • motherboard
    • psu
    • case
    • heatsink
    • thermal paste
    • graphics card
    • wireless network card (for internet)
    • hard drive
    • DVD drive
    • RAM (nearly forgot it lol)
    • Screen
    • Speakers
    • IDE cables
    • floppy disk (sigh)
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    anything else i will need to get? I think thats about it

as for what i'm going to get, i'll be looking for cheap stuff (from ebuyer.co.uk) because its just for wordprocessing

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    this is what i've chosen so far.. what i want to be able to do is go to my mam and say that i have chosen all this stuff and it will cost *** instead of costing £700+ and then to see what she says

sorry if this topic makes no sense, its kinda just to keep me sorted

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by TheRealDave@17 July 2004 - 05:24
    i tell her it will be a rip off to pay £1000 for a new PC so im gonna try and persuad her to let me build one..
    I'll just save this little snippet so in a few weeks, when the inevitable "The keyboard just electrocuted my cat...WTF!!!" thread begins we can all share a good chuckle.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you plan on overclocking you really need faster ram
    This is cheaper than the one you picked. The timings may be slightly slower than the Crucial product, but I doubt if you will notice. If you are not overclocking you can tighten up on the timing specs for improved performance, but again I don't think you will notice IRL.

You won't be happy with that graphics card if you plan on gaming at all, it doesn't support DirectX 9 so you can't run the latest games. You need something like this
    Sapphire Radeon 9600SE 128MB DDR AGP 8x DVI-i TV-Out Retail Box
    or this
    Gainward Fx Powerpack! Pro/660 AGPx 8 TV-DVI Fx5200 128MB Retail Box
    Those are the minimum spec cards which support DirectX 9.

Otherwise, your choices so far look ok.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Everything looks fine to me. She uses word processing and IE...everything looks great. I had a nice $550 system priced with monitor and everything and same stuff u already have..but i dont know where the thread is lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by TheRealDave@17 July 2004 - 12:24
    Getting A New Pc, my mum wants to BUY one
    ...but you want to STEAL one?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    since your mom just needs it for word processing, why all the fancy stuf? get her something simple........

you dont need a graphics card, get a decent mobo with onboard graphics........ will save ya alot of cash.........

[*]processor - XP 2500+[*]motherboard Asus A7n8x-vm[*]graphics card (dont bother, the onboard is good enough for your mom)[*]wireless network card (for internet) (is onboard as well)[*]hard drive 80 GB Maxtor/Seagate/WD[*]DVD drive (maybe DVD+/-RW drive, dont know)[*]RAM 512 MB

now that leaves you with the case and such to look for, but i trust that wont be a problem.........

this will get her a nice comp WAY under those 1000 pounds
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+17 July 2004 - 12:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 17 July 2004 - 12:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave@17 July 2004 - 05:24
    i tell her it will be a rip off to pay £1000 for a new PC so im gonna try and persuad her to let me build one..
    I&#39;ll just save this little snippet so in a few weeks, when the inevitable "The keyboard just electrocuted my cat...WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;" thread begins we can all share a good chuckle. [/b][/quote]
    his cat has had enough bad luck as it is without you jinxing it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by callum+18 July 2004 - 00:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 18 July 2004 - 00:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@17 July 2004 - 12:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave
    @17 July 2004 - 05:24

I&#39;ll just save this little snippet so in a few weeks, when the inevitable "The keyboard just electrocuted my cat...WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;" thread begins we can all share a good chuckle.
    his cat has had enough bad luck as it is without you jinxing it [/b][/quote]
    i have a cat?

btw, fek this topic. she went out and bought one

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by TheRealDave+17 July 2004 - 19:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheRealDave @ 17 July 2004 - 19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by callum@18 July 2004 - 00:06
    Originally posted by clocker@17 July 2004 - 12:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave
    @17 July 2004 - 05:24

I&#39;ll just save this little snippet so in a few weeks, when the inevitable "The keyboard just electrocuted my cat...WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;" thread begins we can all share a good chuckle.

his cat has had enough bad luck as it is without you jinxing it
    i have a cat?

btw, fek this topic. she went out and bought one [/b][/quote]
    wierd, my mom wouldn&#39;t buy one cause she doesn&#39;t know anything about them, my dad does and he would spend about 4 years pricing them. finally he decides that he&#39;s glad he looked around cause for the same price as that 1ghz pc he saw when he started he can get an athlon xp 3200+&#33;

anyway, price out a comp with the specs in her new machine, then print out the list, show her, and watch her cry that she spent so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast