Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Windows 2000

Would a Celeron 433mhz with 192mb of ram be aquidate to run windows 2000 at a good speed? If not, how much ram would be needed to run it at a comfortable speed? Or is it not possible on such a low end processor?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    yeah it should be ok, also check here for offical requirments:-
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/profe...eqs/default.asp

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    _
    That would run great.

Call me crazy but I got Windows 2000 running on 56MB of RAM. Yes, 56MB. Way below the minimum of 64MB. It's runs okay. It took a very long time to install though.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    yeah i can believe. Win 2000 is my favourite OS, runs great and smoothly even with minimum specs and in your case below minimum B) good luck installing it!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@17 July 2004 - 18:29
    Would a Celeron 433mhz with 192mb of ram be aquidate to run windows 2000 at a good speed? If not, how much ram would be needed to run it at a comfortable speed? Or is it not possible on such a low end processor?
    My girls' puter is a K6-II/350 with 192MB and has WinXP installed so I would've thought you'd have no problems at all.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ha my old comp's the worst yet...

has an amd k6\2 333mhz and 64mb ram back in the day and was running windows 2000, then upgraded to xp and got 256mb for it though, then downgraded to 2000 again then back to xp.
    that thing's been through a lot. It's even oced now to a hefty 350mhz

btw, both run great. except for playing music or movies...but even with windows 98 it was slow playing them.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Alright, thanks for the input, I'd knew it'd run, I just didn't know how well. All I've used is XP, but I knew that probably wouldn't run to well... lol

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I think it's possible to run win2k with 64 mb ram, tho' I don't recommend it.

Anything equal to or above 128 is good.

XP might run with what you have, tho' I'd much prefer a minimum of 256, and a better processor for that not to move a tad sluggishly.

EDt: apache's link is good.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Twist3r
    xp runs on 64 ram. you just have to be very patient

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I installed xp on a pentium 100mhz and 64 megs of ram once. I forget what kind of box it was but the school was about to throw it away so I took it home and it ran pretty good. Limited with the number of programs it could run at one time though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast