Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutting Down The Pc

Hi...
    I usually shut down and turn on my pc like 10 times a day...
    Sometimes I shut my computer of and decide to turn it on 1-5 minutes afterwards lol... I properly shutdown my computer. So... does it ware my computer such as mobo/hd or anything else? Is this okay? Should I leave my PC all day? << well that wares the PC even more.

Any opinions?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I don&#39;t think it matters either way.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    If properly cooled, by the time the componets of the pc would ware out from use it would be obsolete and not worth having anyways. Leave it on.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Turning the pc on stresses the psu, the more you stress it, the shorter it&#39;s life will be.

And if the psu goes it may well take other components with it.

My advice is that you don&#39;t turn it off if you are likely to be using it again within a few minutes. Instead, put it into suspend mode. In that mode it is using very little power, but the psu is still active so you don&#39;t have the startup problem.

Don&#39;t go for standby mode though, that shuts off most of the psu so you still have the same problem.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Do what i do, if u leave teh computer&#092;room then do the switch user thing (i press windowkey+L) then switch off monitor. If someone else wants to use my comp then fine (not vey often anymore) but the computer is still on all u gotta do is tuern monitor back on and click ur name.

saves power, less heat, good.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    There is no documented evidence that shows powering on/off a PC does any harm to the power supply(or any other components).

"Stressing" components is just a myth.

Having worked in the electronics repair business I have to agree 100%

period.

It&#39;s also just a plain waste of time to do this. Shutting down your monitor will help save energy but outside of that, the PC doesn&#39;t draw much current.

Leave it on.

My .02¢

regards...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    My only worry is the on/off switch on the monitor , I use a power bar for that . Thats the first thing to go usually . I&#39;v upgraded my computer three times, but kept the same monitor. Just a thought .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by harrycary@18 July 2004 - 17:29
    There is no documented evidence that shows powering on/off a PC does any harm to the power supply(or any other components).

Having worked in the electronics repair business I have to agree 100%
    I don&#39;t want to appear picky, but perhaps you could explain all the circuitry present in switch-mode power supplies specifically aimed at providing protection from initial inrush currents.

Even with this circuitry in place, the initial current is MUCH higher than steady state usage, and as such it must put extra stress on components. Electric light bulbs are simply a type of resistor, and the failure point of these is usually at switch on. Resistors and caps in the psu are subjected to similar stress, although it is not as obvious since they are not working as close to failure point in the first place.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by harrycary@18 July 2004 - 18:29

while the "damage" might not be to big, warming somthing up, then cooling it, then warming it up, then cooling it is worse than just warming it up and keeping it warm.......

it will wear at your system....... might not be as noticable as OC&#39;in, but you are wearing it down.....

(besides which, not having proof of something, doesnt mean its not true........ if that was the case, the earth would really have been flat 2000 years ago )
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Boys, it&#39;s just my .02¢

Take it for what it&#39;s worth...

BTW, I know of 10, no 11, technicians who agree with what I&#39;ve stated.

It&#39;s a moot point at best because we are all essentially correct. But, the bottom line is, wear and tear is nominal at best and truly immeasurable.

I mean, something else will fail before you "wear out" any components in a power supply or elsewhere for that matter.

peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast