Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divx/dvd Players.?

enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    What`s the cheapest and best divx/xvid muti region dvdplayer about at the moment in the uk.I`ve been having a scout about on the internet and seen THIS one for £50.It looks a bargain.It`s got some good reviews and some bad reviews.

Any info much appriciated.Lol i know it`s not computer hardware but it`s kinda related in a way.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I'm not sure if this one is available in the UK but the Philips DVP642 player I bought recently has played every divx [and xvid] encoded video file I've thrown at it. No need to do any authoring, just burn them as a data file and your set.

It cost me $70US.

regards,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by enoughfakefiles@18 July 2004 - 11:04
    i know it`s not computer hardware but it`s kinda related in a way.
    Don't worry. This definitely belongs in Hardwareworld.

I have heard that Apex makes some very low priced units that have hacks to disable region and macrovision.

http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/proddisp.asp...D%20Players&c=1

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    just wondering: will these work with dvdavi films - ie those where avi's are burnt as data onto a dvd

cos that would be cool - 7 films per disk
    <insert signature here>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Forum Star
    this one&#39;s pretty good - https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=108359

cheers JP

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    I&#39;m currently looking for a player which will play divx, but I don&#39;t think the Medion unit will be any good for me. Most reports (on videohelp) say it is VERY picky about playing DVD-R disks, particularly Bulkpaq Orange and Datawrite Yellow, which is what most of my disks are.

I&#39;m very interested in the Philips DVP642, I&#39;ve seen some pretty good reports on it. I know it is available in the US at Walmart (maybe that&#39;s where you got yours, harrycary), I&#39;d be interested to know if anyone has found it in the UK yet. Maybe Asda (now part of Walmart) will start selling it, but I want one pretty quick.

Otherwise I&#39;m probably going to get one of those Yamada 6600s, I think they are down to about £64 now. I&#39;m going to see what Costco have got tomorrow, but I don&#39;t really hold out much hope of picking one up there.

VB, I don&#39;t think Apex make a divx player, and the best of the cheaper ones needed a chip swap to make the region/macrovision free, but that info might be out of date now.

Edit: forget that, except the bit about the Philips DVP642 UK availability.
    I was looking as Maplin&#39;s site to check their price for the Yamada 6600 - still £79.99 there, when I spotted this little beauty for only £59.99. Very good reports as far as I can see, and it is region free already.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    I`m led to believe that THIS is the equivalent to the philip 642 for the uk but theirs not many reviews on it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Well I got the Yamada 6100 nearly a year ago now (end of August) and haven&#39;t really looked back since, dvix players (all I suppose) are superb with mine I just stick avi and mpeg&#39;s together on one disc (dvd) no need to convert to (s)vcd and away I go, if the mpegs in two parts just join them first.
    To me I find the bin&#39;s & cue&#39;s a pain as I have to draw the mpeg out before hand which takes slightly longer.

Very good DivX playback. The *majority* of my DivX&#39;s played with no problems. The couple that failed could be slightly broken files (though they play on my PC okay).
    I&#39;ll bet this is because of packed bitstream google for it to see what I mean it cause&#39;s me an headache with the "odd" xvid file then mine is an older machine now with an older chip inside they may have updated these to get over this problem, don&#39;t know.

http://www.umax.de/support/yamfaqsUS.php - For Yamada&#39;s.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by enoughfakefiles@18 July 2004 - 21:19
    I`m led to believe that THIS is the equivalent to the philip 642 for the uk but theirs not many reviews on it.
    Thanks for trying, but it isn&#39;t quite the same.

The 642 will read dual layer DVD+R, I&#39;m not certain that the 630 will, which is the main reason why I would like the 642 above anything else.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I got the Yamada DVX6600 for a mate recently and was pretty amazed with all it can do, and it looks pretty smart too (apart from the remote). Played back divx/xvid, mpgs, pics etc. on Bulkpaq Oranges, Ritek DVD-Rs and some no name brand DVD-RWs from PC World.

It&#39;s 69.99 here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast