Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dvd Drive Problem

angel_of_death57
    Hi,

My dvd drive will read normal cd's but will notread DVD's at all any ideas at all its really odd i don't know what going on.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Questions:

Which one (you've got 2 in your sig)?
    Recorded or pressed media?
    Is this on new hardware or hardware which has been working for some time?
    Does it not read them, or simply not play dvd movies?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    angel_of_death57
    its my 4KUS one.

It used to work. Both DVD and DVD-R media. Works fine with CD's.

It just does not think a disc is inserted and says please insert a disc. It takes sometimes and tries to read it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just wondered, I sometimes get that, particularly just after I've burnt a dvd, but it usually fixes itself after inserting a pre-recorded cd.

I cured the problem by taking it apart and moving the laser mechanism about, and cleaning the lens. Not sure which one fixed it. That was a couple of months ago and now it is starting to play up again.

If you don't fancy taking it apart you can get something which will clean the lens, but that won't help if it's a mechanism problem.

The other thing is what OS are you using?

DVD's use a different file system from CD's, if the drivers have got corrupted it could explain the problem, but I don't suppose it would read any DVD's then.

Edit: forget that last bit, that would affect both drives, so it is almost certain to be the drive itself. Go into device manager and delete the drive, then reboot and let the system redetect it. If that doesn't cure the problem it must be the drive.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    angel_of_death57
    I am using Windows XP Home Edition i tried a lens cleaner disc no different and it not a burner just a standard reader of CD's and DVD's.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    angel_of_death57
    Also if i unistall it will the pc redetect it ok. When i boot up do i need to do anything

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    I realised it was just a reader, it was the bit about the mechanism and the lens i was trying to emphasise.

Simply go into device manager, select the drive and hit the delete button. Windows will automatically redetect it next time you reboot, but you may have to reboot again after it has detected it. You don't have to do anything yourself.

The drivers must all be present otherwise you would have the same problems with the other drive. Redeteting should remove any doubts that the settings for the drive have become corrupted, or fix the problem if they have.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Have you tried simply restarting your PC?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    angel_of_death57
    Well i took it apart, unistalled it, restarted pc, cleaned lens and still got a problem. How comeit can read CD's but no DVD ?????? aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    muchspl2
    maybe its busted, you coud try updating the firmware before you toss it out and get a newer one
    should get a dvdrw, can get a nec for about 60 bucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast