Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried...

Poster
    yea...i been downloading a lot of screeners lately and im getting worried that i might get one of those letters everyone seems to be getting from the film makers company..or w/e it is. i was wondering if getting a firewall program would prevent this from happening...i right now only have a router which has NAT on it to stop hackers. should i get a firewall...and which one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    Peer Guardian is meant for that, and also get ZoneAlarm

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/14/3/14-3-55.shtml

http://www.zonelabs.com/

btw whos your isp?
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by slim150@19 July 2004 - 05:58
    Peer Guardian is meant for that, and also get ZoneAlarm

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/14/3/14-3-55.shtml

http://www.zonelabs.com/

btw whos your isp?
    what the hell would ZA do that his router cant????

btw, if your gonna get a software firewall, get a good one like sygate..... dont stick with something like ZA cause its easy to use
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    its good to have a software and hardware firewall in general.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I think arm would disagree https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showt...01&hl=snake-oil.

Nah.

Some people prefer symantec over zonealarm, as it isn't as heavy on system resources.

ZA or similar lets you control what will access the internet, something hardware-firewalls might not always be good at, tho' they generally block stuff from the outside very well.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Storm@19 July 2004 - 13:43

what the hell would ZA do that his router cant????

a software firewall informs you of which programs on your computer are attempting to access the internet and allows you to configure which are/aren't or partially are. They also monitor programs to see if they've been modified. Also firewalls are sometimes good for blocklists.

Edit: I realised after that you meant specific to blocking RIAA / MPAA doh >_<

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Last edited by hungrylilboy; 01-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    firewalls are necessary & good and all that, but the effectiveness of Peer Guardian and other IP lists is kinda questionable IMO.
    fuck it.
    share till you get caught, act dumb, deny it all, share more.
    worked for me

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Sparsely@20 July 2004 - 00:58
    firewalls are necessary & good and all that, but the effectiveness of Peer Guardian and other IP lists is kinda questionable IMO.
    fuck it.
    share till you get caught, act dumb, deny it all, share more.
    worked for me
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I could honestly care less about your peer gaurdian and anything else that&#39;s been hyped up but in reality won&#39;t save your ass at all.

It is true that it&#39;s better to be safe than sorry, but most agencies that despise what your doing are taking a different approach than they used to. regardless of what kind of firewall you use on a windows pc, thoose p2p applications still open up a port where clients can connect. and it leaves you highly vulnerable to attack by anti-p2p agencies who have by now hired some elite peop&#39;s to do their dirty work.

In order to be really secure you should make some type of attempt to "filter" thoose ports. However, the way that most p2p apps work it&#39;s nearly impossible to filter connections from clients you don&#39;t know half the time anyway. Under tcp/ip settings in Windows you can filter or attempt to filter udp and tcp packets or what not but you generally have to know what your doing to great extent in order to accomplish that succesfully.

Bottom line is if your like me you really don&#39;t give a shit. All this internet stuff is just something you do for the hell of it. And if push came to shove there really is nothing that anyone can do on the internet that you can&#39;t recuperate from.

However, In a commercial enviorment it&#39;s a totally different thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast