Thread: Static Ip For Routers

I think some may tend to overlook creating a static IP for their pc
    so that their router port forwarding will be more constant.
    (Edited the fist two lines above per lynx obsevation to prevent confusion)

First find your Target IP by clicking Start -> Run -> Command or Cmd
    Then type IPConfig in the window and hit Enter.
    Write down the "IP Address" of your router.
    This is generally the number beginning with 192.
    This will be considered your "Target" IP for future reference.

Now go to Network Connections -> Local Area Connections (right click)->
    Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) (double click) and then as follows

Change "Obtain an IP address automatically" to "Use the following IP address"
    Then setup as follows

IP address: The "Target" IP
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.*.1
    * = 0 or 1 generally, should be the same
    as what is in this position in the "Target" IP

Preferred DNS server: 4.2.2.2
    Alternate DNS server: Same as "Default Gateway" above.

This will help create a fixed IP for your router since if multiple user are using it
    there is a chance that it may change causing any forwarded ports to become
    useless. Now whenever you forward any ports on your router just make sure
    they are forwarded to the "Target IP" along with the appropriate port.

If this fails or your internet connection drops you can always simply go back and
    select "Obtain an IP address automatically". This may not be for everyone, I am
    not sure, but it has worked on dozens of peoples computers I have suggested it
    to without one exception yet. Hopefully this will add a little more help for some.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    I don't see how this could work...doesn't you ISP assign you a random IP adress from the relativly limited list of IP addresses that they have every time you connect to their server to connect to the internet?

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I know it won't work for my router. First of all the router with a private lan ip in the internal interface would be like what they said but I higly doubt you could change it's ip address from the Network Connections -> Local Area Connections. Your ip maybe but not the router's.

Even so your router still gets assigned an ip on it's external interface when you connect to your isp. That just don't add up.

It all just varies. Any good router should have some sort of admin interface anyway.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    This is to avoid your IP from jumping from say 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.3. If you setup port forwarding in your router settings for 192.168.0.2 for example and then you reboot or have multiple computers on the same router it is possible that you will be assigned a different IP such as 192.168.0.3 thus all ports that are forwarded on 192.168.0.2 in your router settings will become of no use to you. In such a situation creating a Static IP for you router will prevent this from happening...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    this seems a little wierd, i think u only have to worry about doing ur port forwarding again if you play around with the PC/equipment plugged into the back of the router - ie switching the cables around

u open a port for the target computer on the network, the ip address is assigned by the router - or urself, it wont change on its own - it be a shit router if it did

ur port forwarding with the router not ur isp - as far as my setup is, the address my ISP gives me isnt even a factor
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by REALITY@21 July 2004 - 03:29
    creating a Static IP for you router
    I think that bit is confusing people.

What you mean (and I know you know this) is creating a static IP for your pc, and entering that into your router for port forwarding.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Originally posted by lynx@21 July 2004 - 03:30
    What you mean (and I know you know this) is creating a static IP for your pc, and entering that into your router for port forwarding.
    Yes that could be a bit clearer...

EDIT: I&#39;ve edited the first two lines in the original post so that hopefully it will be more clearer now.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Bump to show the edit.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.