Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winamp Troubles

I also posted this on the Winamp forum, but I'm hopign you guys can help me.

OK, so my comp has crashed 3 times tonight and I think each one was caused by Winamp. Two of the crashes were blue screen/physical memory dumps and the third was some weird black screen.

Crash 1. Winamp caused a blue screen/physical memory dump after i tried playing a few normal files. I think the problem was that i set the output plugin to "Nullsoft Disc Writer" from "DirectSound" accidentally. So, the comp automatically restarted. This led to Crash 2. (The windows error report said the crash had to do with some disc writing thing so I think my guess is right)

Crash 2. I re-opened Winamp, but before I even saw it open, my screen turned black. After 15 seconds of waiting/confusion, I hit escape. Then my screen goes back to normal except the colors in my AOL Instant Messenger are all askew. I restart. The windows error report said there was an error in some ATI Graphics Card.

Crash 3. Winamp appeared to be running fine and then all of a sudden, right when i push the "AVS/Video" button to get the visual window to open, I get another blue screen/physical memory dump. The comp automatically restarted itself and there was no error report.

The only reason I can think of Winamp crashing is related to me putting in a new hard drive today. I know the problem is not the hard drive because I put the hard drive in this afternoon (wasn't using Winamp) and there were no problems. The problems only started when I started using Winamp tonight.
    So is it possible that Winamp (all it's files are located on hard drive 1) is having trouble playing music files that are located on hard drive 2?

I really need help, I want my computer to stop crashing.

I have Windows XP Home
    Dell Dimension 4500
    256 MB RAM
    New HD = Seagate Barracuda 120 GB

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Way over my head, why not just try Real Player instead?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Real Player? ugghh.

I want to fix the Winamp problem. And I will never use Real Player unless I have to.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    perhaps save all your playlists and stuff, give it an uninstall and reinstall it. I had this problem with winamp recently that everytime i accessed my media list it woudl crash. so i uninstalled it, and downloaded it again and it works goodie goodie again
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    do you suggest dling the installer again?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    thats what i did. although its not really a "solution" to your problem, but worth a shot if something better doesnt come along
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ok, i went into the Winamp folder to try to uninstall Winamp. I clicked on something that had "Un" in the title (maybe "Unwise" or something similar?) thinking it was the uninstaller. When it opened it said something about "themes" and picking the one i want. I thought, "ok, i don't care about the skins." Well, it seemed to have uninstalled something, but not winamp. Does anyone have any idea what it could have uninstalled?

I actually did uninstall winamp after that and then reinstalled, but i that first uninstaller i used is not there. So I guess it's not made by nullsoft or something, but it's still for winamp. please help.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    to remove a program its best to do it in the add/remove programs thats located in the control panel which is start->settings->control panel

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    winamp has its own uninstaller though.

Do you have any idea what I could have uninstalled?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    you probably uninstalled winamp, unwise is a generic uninstaller that many programs use to uninstall something. is your problem still there with the crashin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast