Thread: Multi Pc Network, Connect To Internet

Poster
    OK, there are a lot of smart network people here and I have a minor question.

I have three computers networked together (soon to be four) using a LinkSys hub and Linksys Ethernet 10/100 cards. This has been a great network system and no problem for the past few years.

The question:
    Only one computer has 56k INTERNET access. Is it possible to connect to the INTERNET from any computer in the network using the modem on the one computer? Just like sharing a printer from on PC to another on a network, could a modem do the same? It would be very convenient to log onto the INTERNET from my desk, rather than to use another computer to log on.

I am sure there are many ways of doing this, such as running another wire, or get another modem, router, etc. But before I do that, I am open to any information that I may not be aware of.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i think you want internet connection sharing.
    can't remembr how to install it...it's simple though, probably through the network setup wizard or something.

also worth a shot is bridging the connnections. (highlight teh network ocnnection and the dialup connection in network connections and then click bridge.)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Bridging won't work on your dial up connection because the ISP end only understands it as a PPP connection with a single IP address.

As for ICS, does that work for more than one pc (other than the pc with the internet connection). I've never tried it, but I was under the impression that it only allowed a second connection (at any one time). Could be wrong though.

There is another option, which is to install a proxy server on the pc with the internet connection. I used to use Proxy+ when I was in that situation. Configuring it takes a bit of working out at first, but it seems to work well once you've got it set up. Only 2 concurrent users with the free version, but there are plenty of cracks and keys out there.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    you can share the connection......

on the comp that has the modem, goto your network connections......

rightclick on it and select properties there check share this connection
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@19 July 2004 - 16:15
    Bridging won't work on your dial up connection because the ISP end only understands it as a PPP connection with a single IP address.

As for ICS, does that work for more than one pc (other than the pc with the internet connection). I've never tried it, but I was under the impression that it only allowed a second connection (at any one time). Could be wrong though.

There is another option, which is to install a proxy server on the pc with the internet connection. I used to use Proxy+ when I was in that situation. Configuring it takes a bit of working out at first, but it seems to work well once you've got it set up. Only 2 concurrent users with the free version, but there are plenty of cracks and keys out there.
    ya i think it works.

my friend's network (well, it's his dad's) has a server with a pci dsl modem, when he had windows 98 on the server i remember he had to install a bunch of different apps but then when he upgraded it he installed server 2003 and i think all he did was install internet connection sharing and netbeaus to all his comps so they would all communicate. (without it windows 98 and me machines couldn't see anything on his network)