Thread: Yes, Yes, But Does Anybody Care?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Remember Bush's "16 words" from his 2003 State of the Union address?

Remember the shit he took for it?

Well, this makes for mighty interesting reading:

Wilson contradictions leave Democrat senators speechless

July 15, 2004

BY ROBERT NOVAK SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST Advertisement

Like Sherlock Holmes' dog that did not bark, the most remarkable aspect of last week's Senate Intelligence Committee report is what its Democratic members did not say. They did not dissent from the committee's findings that Iraq apparently asked about buying yellowcake uranium from Niger. They neither agreed to a conclusion that former diplomat Joseph Wilson was suggested for a mission to Niger by his CIA employee wife nor defended his statements to the contrary.

Wilson's activities constituted the only aspects of the yearlong investigation for which the committee's Republican chairman, Sen. Pat Roberts, was unable to win unanimous agreement. According to committee sources, Roberts felt Wilson had been such a ''cause celebre'' for Democrats that they could not face the facts about him.

For a year, Democrats have been belaboring President Bush about 16 words in his 2003 State of the Union address in which he reported Saddam Hussein's attempt to buy uranium from Africa, based on British information. Wilson has been lionized in liberal circles for allegedly contradicting this information on a CIA mission and then being punished as a truth-teller. Now, for committee Democrats, it is as though the Niger question and Joe Wilson have vanished from the Earth.

Because a Justice Department special prosecutor is investigating whether any crime was committed when my column first identified Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, as a CIA employee, on advice of counsel I have not written on the subject since October. However, I feel compelled to describe how the committee report treats the Niger-Wilson affair because it has received scant coverage except in a few media outlets. The unanimously approved report said, ''interviews and documents provided to the Committee indicate that his wife, a CPD (CIA counterproliferation division) employee, suggested his name for the trip.'' That's what I reported, and what Wilson flatly denied and still does.

Plame sent out an internal CIA memo saying ''my husband has good relations with both the PM [prime minister] and the former Minister of Mines (not to mention lots of French contacts), both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity.'' A State Department analyst told the committee about an inter-agency meeting in 2002 that was ''apparently convened by [Wilson's] wife, who had the idea to dispatch [him] to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger uranium issue.''

The committee found that the CIA report, based on Wilson's mission, differed considerably from the former ambassador's description to the committee of his findings. That report ''did not refute the possibility that Iraq had approached Niger to purchase uranium.'' As far as his statement to the Washington Post about ''forged documents'' involved in the alleged Iraqi attempt to buy uranium, Wilson told the committee he may have ''misspoken.'' In fact, the intelligence community agreed that ''Iraq was attempting to procure uranium from Africa.''

''While there was no dispute with the underlying facts,'' Chairman Roberts wrote separately, ''my Democrat colleagues refused to allow'' two conclusions in the report. The first conclusion merely said that Wilson was sent to Niger at his wife's suggestion. The second conclusion is devastating: ''Rather than speaking publicly about his actual experiences during his inquiry of the Niger issue, the former ambassador seems to have included information he learned from press accounts and from his beliefs about how the Intelligence Community would have or should have handled the information he provided.''

The normally mild Roberts is harsh in his condemnation: ''Time and again, Joe Wilson told anyone who would listen that the president had lied to the American people, that the vice president had lied, and that he had 'debunked' the claim that Iraq was seeking uranium from Africa. . . . [N]ot only did he NOT 'debunk' the claim, he actually gave some intelligence analysts even more reason to believe that it may be true.'' Roberts called it ''important'' for the committee to declare much of what Wilson said ''had no basis in fact.'' In response, Democrats were silent.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Score one for you j2 (tentatively).

Did Hussein actually procure any yellowcake from Nigeria?
    No.
    Did Iraq have a nuclear/chemical/biological weapons capability that posed a threat to the US?
    No.
    Did Iraq have anything to do with 9/11?
    No ( in fact, it now appears that Iran was more involved than even Saudi Arabia in aiding the terrorists).

Major victory for Bush alright.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Originally posted by clocker@19 July 2004 - 20:34

Did Hussein actually procure any yellowcake from Nigeria?
    No.
    Now, just how do you know that?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Why, I get emails from Nigeria all the time.
    Apparently they are anxious to shower me with money.
    I have asked my good friend Mr. Mubutu to check into it for me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Bush is a geptard of the highest level! After waatching the first half of F9/11 it explains how he shouldn't even hve been made Pres (Im UK so i wouldnt have known this before).

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Funny, I thought the Senate Intelligence Committee report was to determine whether there was any intelligence as claimed, not whether the intelligence was correct.

So now we know that there was "intelligence" that Iraq may have tried to buy yellowcake from Niger (not Nigeria, that's a different country). That not the same as saying they did try to buy it.

The second phase of the SIC report, to determine the accuracy of the intelligence, has not yet officially begun.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    So now we know that there was "intelligence" that Iraq may have tried to buy yellowcake from Niger (not Nigeria, that's a different country). That not the same as saying they did try to buy it.

There are reports that he did try to buy it...but that's not the same as saying that he did try to buy it?

I think I know what you meant.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by dwightfry@23 July 2004 - 08:31

There are reports that he did try to buy it...but that's not the same as saying that he did try to buy it?

I think I know what you meant.
    it's simple,

2 people on this board could say they suspect that you are a fan of the spice girls because you saw one of their videos.... doesn't mean that you are.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by vidcc@23 July 2004 - 18:16
    2 people on this board could say they suspect that you are a fan of the spice girls because you saw one of their videos.... doesn't mean that you are.
    No need to make allegations that bad.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by lynx+23 July 2004 - 14:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 23 July 2004 - 14:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@23 July 2004 - 18:16
    2 people on this board could say they suspect that you are a fan of the spice girls because you saw one of their videos.... doesn&#39;t mean that you are.
    No need to make allegations that bad. [/b][/quote]
    Yes, I agree; such extreme rhetoric.

Shame on you, vid.

-Mark Twain