Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent Electrical Help Required

brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    Ok this is what just happened......

I walked home from work and its really hot so I want a shower. To turn the shower on I have to pull a cord that is attached to a little box on the ceiling and a little red light comes on, then I can turn the shower on. However, today the little red light did not come on and I therefore cannot turn the shower on.

To top it off someone has left the heating on all day and the house is like a sauna.

I have to get it working so I figure that I need to climb up to the little box unscrew the cover and have a look inside. My question is this............

Do I need to turn the electric off somwhere before I start fiddling with it???
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

2. Lounge   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Yes you do, there should be a switch in the same place as your 'leccy meter.

If the pull cord has gone though you will more than likely need a new one, time for a trip to B&Q

3. Lounge   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    More likely the problem is one of those switches down by the electric meter (assuming you've got circuit breakers) or a fuse in the fuse box (near the electric meter).

Far easier to check that first anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Originally posted by lynx@21 July 2004 - 18:46
    More likely the problem is one of those switches down by the electric meter (assuming you've got circuit breakers) or a fuse in the fuse box (near the electric meter).

If the heating is working it can't have tripped the electrics cos then the heating wouldn't work

5. Lounge   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by danb+21 July 2004 - 18:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb @ 21 July 2004 - 18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@21 July 2004 - 18:46
    More likely the problem is one of those switches down by the electric meter (assuming you&#39;ve got circuit breakers) or a fuse in the fuse box (near the electric meter).

If the heating is working it can&#39;t have tripped the electrics cos then the heating wouldn&#39;t work [/b][/quote]
    1) Separate circuit (must be for an electric shower).
    2) It could be gas heating.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    nope its not the fuse box or the electrics around the fuse box, I checked all that. It has to be something to do with the box that is attached to the cord on the ceiling.

can I come round and borrow someones shower please
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by lynx@21 July 2004 - 19:02

2) It could be gas heating.
    Boilers are still run by electric even though they use gas to produce the heat and hot water

Brenda, you are more than welcome to come and use mine but remember it leaks like a sieve.

edit - as I said, you will need to go to B&Q and buy teh new pull cord

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by brenda@21 July 2004 - 18:10
    nope its not the fuse box or the electrics around the fuse box, I checked all that. It has to be something to do with the box that is attached to the cord on the ceiling.

yes

9. Lounge   -   #9
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator

AS long as you promise to fetch it back.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

I&#39;ll come around and hold a watering can over your head whilst you shower...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast