Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I Was Building My Computer And...

Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@25 July 2004 - 12:27
    Is it possible I didn't put enough paste on?
    Why is this always the first assumption?

Isn't it equally as likely that the HS itself is deficient?
    Or the fan?
    Or the combination of the two?
    <span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Resistence is futile.</span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Not blurry do to a fast shutter.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Maybe if it was a crappy heatsink i&#39;d think that, or maybe even if my temperatures weren&#39;t alot lower a few days ago when it was overclocked by 600mhz. The heatink isn&#39;t hot to the touch either so I think that pretty much seals the deal on the thermal paste. But, could it also be possible because its not broken in? Or does that not make that much of a difference?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    The "normalization" of AS may gain you two...maybe three... degrees reduction in temp, but don&#39;t hope for miracles.

My understanding of the Swiftech sinks is that they require a very high pressure fan to reach their optimum performance.
    Something along the lines of a Tornado.
    This has been a common objection to them...they work well, but the price paid in noise is very high.
    <span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Resistence is futile.</span></span></span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    50 degrees isn&#39;t hot to the touch anyway.

anything like 60 or higher then it will start to get too hot to touch.

at about 90 is when touching it actually hurts.

edit: actually not 90 lol that is very hot maybe 75 or 80.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    well rosco, it was barely warm. Maybe its a bit of both the fan and the paste? I&#39;m going to look into things more, hopefully swiftech has a reccomended cfm, then i can see how much air my fan pushes... hmmm

Edit: After looking, I see my fan moves 36cfm. That is in the "mid category, best suited for mild to serious overclocking." I should get better temps then what i&#39;m getting at stock speeds.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@25 July 2004 - 15:12
    well rosco, it was barely warm. Maybe its a bit of both the fan and the paste? I&#39;m going to look into things more, hopefully swiftech has a reccomended cfm, then i can see how much air my fan pushes... hmmm

Edit: After looking, I see my fan moves 36cfm. That is in the "mid category, best suited for mild to serious overclocking." I should get better temps then what i&#39;m getting at stock speeds.
    my fan is also 36cfm.

could be that the heatsink actually needs like 40cfm or more to be at all effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12