Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Detecting Hd Partition

manker's Avatar effendi
    I've just built a basic PC for a family member. It's working but there are a couple of problems I can't resolve. I'm not to clever with hardware so please be gentle

The first problem is that when installing the OS -- winXP corp with integrated SP2 beta -- I partitioned the drive and I cannot see the other half. C is showing up as 19 gig (correctly) but the other partition is absent. I've looked in the bios and the C drive is denoted as 40.1 gig..

Other problem is that I can't get any sound to work, the sound properties in control panel report that there are no audio devices installed..

Here is the spec:

AMD Duron 1800 266FSB CPU - OEM
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb ATA 133 7200rpm Disk Drive
    Ebuyer 256MB DDR266 PC2100 Extra Value RAM
    PcChips SIS741 8xAGP DDR Onboard Video Sound LAN USB 2.0 Retail Box
    Lg 52x32x52x16 Ide Drive (combo) - Oem

Thanks for any help.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Did you format the second partition yet?

if not then right click my comp>manage>disc management and right click the second partiton and click format. u also might not have created the second partition and just created unpartitioned space, so if that is the case right click in that disc management console on the unpartitioned space and click partition. (think that's how it works).

right click my comp>manage>device manager. You will see that one or more devices here don't have any drivers. they will have a ! or ? next to them.
    post what these devices are so we can help you get drivers for them.
    but to get the sound working go to pcchips.com and download the sound drivers for that board.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    haha nice sig

Thanks a lot, just written down what you've typed and will give it a go (2 boxes sharing one monitor atm) I definitely haven't formatted the second partition because I couldn't find it to partition. Hope the disk management method will work.

Btw pretty sure that in device manager none of the devices had ? or !'s next to them but I wouldn't swear to it.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by manker@22 July 2004 - 18:18
    haha nice sig

Thanks a lot, just written down what you've typed and will give it a go (2 boxes sharing one monitor atm) I definitely haven't formatted the second partition because I couldn't find it to partition. Hope the disk management method will work.

Btw pretty sure that in device manager none of the devices had ? or !'s next to them but I wouldn't swear to it.
    ha thanks.

ya it should show in disc management as unpartitioned spaced or as not formatted im sure. otherwise u don't really have a 40gb drive.

and the drivers may all be installed but with the wrong sound driver. happens to me, i've only found one driver that ever actually worked with my onboard sound. the rest either own't install or install but have no sound playback.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+23 July 2004 - 00:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 23 July 2004 - 00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@22 July 2004 - 18:18
    haha nice sig

Thanks a lot, just written down what you&#39;ve typed and will give it a go (2 boxes sharing one monitor atm) I definitely haven&#39;t formatted the second partition because I couldn&#39;t find it to partition. Hope the disk management method will work.

Btw pretty sure that in device manager none of the devices had ? or &#33;&#39;s next to them but I wouldn&#39;t swear to it.
    ha thanks.

ya it should show in disc management as unpartitioned spaced or as not formatted im sure. otherwise u don&#39;t really have a 40gb drive.

and the drivers may all be installed but with the wrong sound driver. happens to me, i&#39;ve only found one driver that ever actually worked with my onboard sound. the rest either own&#39;t install or install but have no sound playback. [/b][/quote]
    Hmm the other partition wasn&#39;t there, either as unpartitioned space or non-formatted. The C drive was denoted as partitioned, though. So, at least I know the problem and it&#39;s solution but I still need to find the damn drive before I can format it

Also there were some devices with ?&#39;s next to them in the device manager -- Multimedia Audio Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). Guess I just need to download the drivers from the PCchips homepage for that though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    In Disk Management, the top window should show loaded partitions, the bottom window should show physical drives. The first drive (Disk 0) should contain your C partition and an area of unparitioned space. Simply right click in the unpartitioned space and create a partition.

For your sound, video etc, you need to install the chipset drivers, they should have come with the motherboard.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by lynx@23 July 2004 - 10:04
    In Disk Management, the top window should show loaded partitions, the bottom window should show physical drives. The first drive (Disk 0) should contain your C partition and an area of unparitioned space. Simply right click in the unpartitioned space and create a partition.

For your sound, video etc, you need to install the chipset drivers, they should have come with the motherboard.
    Thanks a lot lynx. When looking at the Drive Manager last night I couldn&#39;t find the unpartitioned space listed anywhere but I&#39;ll give it a try when I get home later

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by manker@22 July 2004 - 19:03
    The first problem is that when installing the OS -- winXP corp with integrated SP2 beta
    Don`t install the beta version. Wait till it goes final...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by manker+23 July 2004 - 04:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 23 July 2004 - 04:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@23 July 2004 - 10:04

Thanks a lot lynx. When looking at the Drive Manager last night I couldn&#39;t find the unpartitioned space listed anywhere but I&#39;ll give it a try when I get home later [/b][/quote]
    Not the Device Manager, the Disk Management.

Right click &#39;My Computer&#39;>Manage>Disk Management.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Thanks a lot to all that helped. The drive is fine now

I haven&#39;t fixed the sound problem yet, the drivers I installed that came on a CD with the motherboard didn&#39;t fix the problem, but I guess it won&#39;t be too difficult to download the appropriate drivers from the homepage and fix it that way.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast