Thread: Norton Internet Security

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I recently had my motherboard replaced and since then I’ve had nothing but trouble with my Norton Internet Security and System works. Both of these programs were already installed and working perfectly before the motherboard went out. I’ve since tried with no luck to uninstall and reinstall the programs with no luck.

Internet Security is giving me the biggest headache. The program installs and starts up fine but when I try to open the program to finish configuring it nothing happens. If I then click on the icon and try to open it again the system tray icon disappears and my internet connection goes down. If I reboot the internet will come back up and everything seems fine until I try to open the program again. I also downloaded another version incase something was wrong with the one I had but that also didn’t work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I take it you tried installing again over the top because you couldn't uninstall the original copy? Did you try in Safe Mode?
    I believe there's a removal tool on the Symantec site that should remove it so you can install again.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Next time ... dont install any bundle programs from norton... hog cpu and slow computer... Install single programs from norton like av and personal firewall only some programs like interenet security and system works are plain useless...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by haha21@23 July 2004 - 21:24
    ...interenet security and system works are plain useless...
    Rubbish. I&#39;ve installed NIS 2003 on many systems including my own and never had a problem with it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I had the same problem with nis, the firewall would&#39;nt kick in and when I clicked the shortcuts nothing would happen, I ended up uninstalling it, the problem I had was with the symantec catalogue, somewhere on your system theres a folder that keeps all your update and virus definition info, 1 answer was to delete this folder because of conflicts and all norton and symantec reg entries but to me was more hassle than the prog was worth. Sometimes I find problems with a lot of AV and FW software because of the constant need for updating, I&#39;d imagine that once symantec find out about dodgy copies they could quite easily slip a bug into a virus update once a week if they wanted, could be wrong though.