Thread: Blue Screen Of Death!

I have searched the boards for any mention of this but have come up with nothing. I have been using Kazaa Lite successfully for a number of months now but regularly encounter the blue screen of death whilst running this program.

The main message on the blue screen is IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. The PC only crashes when running KLite and I then lose a number of active downloads , every other program is fine. I believe this may be a driver problem but I am at a loss as to how to solve it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Get XP!
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I am using XP. Do I need to change certain settings?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I originally posted this topic in the problem forum but with limited success. I shall now risk the wrath of others by posting it here as well!

Original message:-

'I have searched the boards for any mention of this but have come up with nothing. I have been using Kazaa Lite successfully for a number of months now but regularly encounter the blue screen of death whilst running this program.

The main message on the blue screen is IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. The PC is running Windows XP and only crashes when running KLite, I then lose a number of active downloads. Every other program on the PC is fine when I am not running KLite and it does not crash . I believe this may be a driver problem but I am at a loss as to how to solve it.

Any help would be gratefully received. '

*topics merged*

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Quite a while back when I was still using kazaa I had a similar problem. It turned out that whenever I had kazaa and a particular version of Norton going I would get the bsd.

I got rid of Norton and had no problems with kazaa while I was still using it.

Just try turning off various programs until you figure it out, or wait until someone can tell you what that specific error is?

Error description

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by rpriest@26 July 2004 - 09:23
    I am using XP. Do I need to change certain settings?
    Sorry, I was under the misapprehension that XP did not have the BSOD. I haven't seen it since I upgraded from 98 SE.

I do get error messages saying windows has encountered a problem and is closing the programme - I then get an option to report this to Microsoft!
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I was also using xp. It seemed to be just between Norton and kazaa for me.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Maybe upgrade your driver (network card).

Do you have a PPPOE connection. Are you using your ISP software to connect to the net?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments (especially TD), I disabled Norton and had no immediate problems but I was only running KLite for a short while. I shall leave KLite running longer next time to see if Norton is the cause.