Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Cd Ripper

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    currently I use the latest version of CDex, but even with CD speed set to 1.. some of my more scratched music cds wont ripp without atleast a 1x or 5x skipping. I only store ripped albums were CDex gave an "OK" on all tracks meaning they dont contain skips I assume. Now I'm useing the Sony DRU510a drive, so that shouldnt be the problem at all. I was wondering if there are some programs that can use extreme measures to ripp a song off a scratched disk by ripping it even slower than a CD read speed of 1 or so. Any ideas? thanks

btw, is CDex what I should be useing in the first place? To me, it's freeware and gets the job done. No spyware attached.(unless adaware removed it awhile back)

My normal ripping settings are:

Coder: LAME Mp3 Encoder (heard it's not lame at all.. actually one of the best?)

MPEG 1 bitrate min: 192kbps bitrate max:224kbps : (sounds the same to my ears, plus saves alot of space)

Very high quality (q=0) : (barely an extra size difference, but I want what's best)

On the fly mp3 codeing (i tried turning this off sometimes to help, but some tracks still give the skips)

Output samplerate: 44100

VBR Method: Disabled (dunno what this is.. any ideas?)

VBR Qual: greyed out

Mode: Stereo (better than mono)

Thread Priority: Normal (dunno what this is either.. any ideas?)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

EAC has secure mode features that will attempt to read tracks multiple times.
    But really, if you have more than a few scratched cd's, I'd recommend getting one of these things:

they cost about $30, but it's quite worth it to save cds that you would otherwise not be able to listen to...and they fix dvds & game cd's too.
    they can fix pretty much anything, other than label-side damage...though bad scratches may take quite a while to fix.

anyway
    goodluck

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Sparsely@24 July 2004 - 14:07

EAC has secure mode features that will attempt to read tracks multiple times.
    But really, if you have more than a few scratched cd's, I'd recommend getting one of these things:

they cost about $30, but it's quite worth it to save cds that you would otherwise not be able to listen to...and they fix dvds & game cd's too.
    they can fix pretty much anything, other than label-side damage...though bad scratches may take quite a while to fix.

anyway
    goodluck
    i've seen those before at futureshop or compucenter or something.

how does it work?

oh and i donwnloaded and used exact audio copy last night it works great goes over the tracks quiet a few times to make sure it got all the data right.
    althoguh it won't detect any of my cd drives so i have to make an image of the cd first then mount it and rip from that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    it's got a belt around that circular part in the middle that's covered with really really fine sandpaper-type stuff.
    as you turn the crank thing it revolves the cd, and takes a small layer of the surface off.

there's plenty of extra surface on the bottom of the cd, as the part with the data is right under the label. that's why you can't really fix label-side damage.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Sparsely@24 July 2004 - 14:14
    it's got a belt around that circular part in the middle that's covered with really really fine sandpaper-type stuff.
    as you turn the crank thing it revolves the cd, and takes a small layer of the surface off.

there's plenty of extra surface on the bottom of the cd, as the part with the data is right under the label. that's why you can't really fix label-side damage.
    hmm seems smart ill have to get me one of them.

i hate that with cd-rs when u drop them or scratch the top and all the label plus the die comes off then the cd is ruined.
    have done that way too many times.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    alright I got EAC, but it doesnt show my CD Drive.
    How do I get it to detect it? I followed all the steps in that guide in Musicworld.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@24 July 2004 - 14:36
    How do I get it to detect it? I followed all the steps in that guide in Musicworld.
    althoguh it won't detect any of my cd drives so i have to make an image of the cd first then mount it and rip from that.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+24 July 2004 - 13:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 24 July 2004 - 13:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@24 July 2004 - 14:36
    althoguh it won&#39;t detect any of my cd drives so i have to make an image of the cd first then mount it and rip from that.
    [/b][/quote]
    no way in hell I&#39;m gonna ripp each one as a damn image first

CDex found the drive right away, why not..the almighty.. EAC?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Allright, tried it on my newer.. faster computer and it found it right away. Cool program, just what I looked for&#33; Ripped my extremely scratched CD flawlessly.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    WOOO&#33;
    EAC&#33; EAC&#33; EAC&#33; EAC&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast