Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sean John Puff P. Diddy Daddy Combs

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Biggles@26 July 2004 - 17:25
    Could I just say I don't really understand this thread. 
    You certainly may.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Originally posted by Biggles@26 July 2004 - 22:25
    Could I just say I don't really understand this thread.
    Sure; but we get to laugh and call you names...

Actually, I don't think I get the thread either; so P. Diddy is gonna run for president? Good Lord.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by spinningfreemanny@27 July 2004 - 05:50
    Actually, I don't think I get the thread either; so P. Diddy is gonna run for president? Good Lord.
    It would seem he regards a political career as an eventuality; I think we should regard it as a threat.

His aim (he says) at this point is to urge young people to vote, and assumes his prodding will have it's effect (and it probably will), due to his prestigious standing with our youth.

I have to say, I heard his spiel, and it was, uh....rather without any depth of understanding; somewhat like his sloganeering.

"Vote or DIE"

What rubbish.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    J2, you seem to regard his efforts to enfranchise the, erm....urban yoot...as a bad thing.
    How come?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Although Mr Diddy's slogan is lamentable, I consider his sentiment to be admirable.

Well done P.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by clocker@27 July 2004 - 18:21
    J2, you seem to regard his efforts to enfranchise the, erm....urban yoot...as a bad thing.
    How come?
    Why endeavor to do something so useful in such a shallow manner?

As I said, if the yoots listen, and are persuaded to vote thereby, what good is done without coincidentally persuading said yoot to educate him/herself as to the issue(s), rather than "vote your feelings" as Mr.S.J.P.P.P.P.D.C. importunes?

I make here the drastic assumption you agree that it is not as simple as deciding to vote, then proceeding merrily to the polling place to pull levers willy-nilly?

P. Doody said not one word about voting in any sort of informed fashion, and, given his idiotic slogan, I find his sentiment akin to handing out firearms without proper instruction.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by j2k4+28 July 2004 - 03:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 28 July 2004 - 03:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@27 July 2004 - 18:21
    How come?
    Why endeavor to do something so useful in such a shallow manner?

As I said, if the yoots listen, and are persuaded to vote thereby, what good is done without coincidentally persuading said yoot to educate him/herself as to the issue(s), rather than "vote your feelings" as Mr.S.J.P.P.P.P.D.C. importunes?

I make here the drastic assumption you agree that it is not as simple as deciding to vote, then proceeding merrily to the polling place to pull levers willy-nilly?

P. Doody said not one word about voting in any sort of informed fashion, and, given his idiotic slogan, I find his sentiment akin to handing out firearms without proper instruction. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t know, at least Mr Diddy is getting the younger element to the polling stations. That alone will engender political interest in at least some of those that wouldn&#39;t have voted otherwise. Granted a majority may vote blindly or without finesse but that experience could stand them in good stead for many elections to come where some will use their vote more carefully.

Once they have voted they are more likely to look out for the results coming in at least. I suspect there will be many - not the majority, but many - of these so called yoots who were cajouled into voting by P. Diddy&#39;s crass statement, that will use this experience as a catalyst to cast many an informed vote in the future.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by manker@27 July 2004 - 21:45
    Granted a majority may vote blindly or without finesse...
    You find this preferrable?

Let me put this even more simply, then:

For want of a very few more well-chosen words, the "visionary" Mr P. could have gotten the relevant point across.

Does the fact of his having "missed the chance" mitigate in any way your kudos for his effort?

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by j2k4+28 July 2004 - 03:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 28 July 2004 - 03:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@27 July 2004 - 21:45
    Granted a majority may vote blindly or without finesse...
    You find this preferrable?

Let me put this even more simply, then:

For want of a very few more well-chosen words, the "visionary" Mr P. could have gotten the relevant point across.

Does the fact of his having "missed the chance" mitigate in any way your kudos for his effort? [/b][/quote]
    It is a necessary evil.

I don&#39;t condone voting without due consideration of the implications but neither do I advocate discouraging people who may not be aware of said implications.

What was P. Diddy supposed to do, how else was he to reach his target audience?

Certainly not by canvassing in the traditional manner. If he had included any words which you consider to be &#39;well chosen&#39;, if he had tried to educate his target audience in any way then I suspect that he would have come over as condescending, then he would have been an easy target for ridicule because, after all, he is just a rapper - also those he was speaking to would have been turned off by this sudden personality alteration. The people he wants to speak to havent got a large attention span for politics. No, his message has to be short and sharp. He wouldn&#39;t have appealed to even a quarter of the people who have been touched by this simplistic and penetrating message had he gone down a different road.

Indeed, far from my kudos for his effort being muted by his missing the chance to politically educate folk, given that it really isn&#39;t his field, I think he made an astute decision not to attempt it.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@27 July 2004 - 20:24

I assume that your disdain for the "willy-nilly" voter extends to those would would vote for Bush without the proper education?
    Certainly, I have heard enough harebrained reasons for doing so to incur your wrath.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast