Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is The Best Firewall?

iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    ZoneAlarm seem so..."big and bulky" too much GUI and crap, a lot of configuration stuff you really don't need. I like Sygate myself, small, compact, and it keeps that "professional" look to it. Look around and try what you want.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I took some advice Shn gave me awhile back- bought a wireless router for a new system I just purchased (50 dollars U.S.) and enabled WEP and set it to 128-bit encryption.

Software-wise, my personal preference lies in Symantec Client Security v2. Includes the client firewall and client antivirus v9 as well as the means to launch and administer those applications across your entire network.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    PhEl's Avatar Non Stop Kaos
    I Use mcafee Firewall 2004 it works fine and it runs as a background program that only alers you when programs want to use the internet :music1:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Oh crap. It should be obvious. Sygate personal or pro.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by PhEl@27 July 2004 - 21:28
    I Use mcafee Firewall 2004 it works fine and it runs as a background program that only alers you when programs want to use the internet :music1:
    theyall do that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Sygate is the best indeed, but if it didn't workout, try Agnitum free or pro.
    If u r not a control freak and don't want the fuss, just use Sygate.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by supersonic@28 July 2004 - 04:46
    Sygate is the best indeed, but if it didn&#39;t workout, try Agnitum free or pro.
    If u r not a control freak and don&#39;t want the fuss, just use Sygate.
    Is the Agnitum free firewall very good because i read on a website that "The FREE version of Outpost Firewall offers a basic protection solution for casual web surfers and low budget systems." Is that all i need though really?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I suppose its really down to what your trying to achieve, if you just want to stop ppl hacking in or programs your not sure about accessing the internet then the free versions will probably do you, but if you have secure work stuff and sensitive data that needs kept on your pc then the paid for versions are a must. ZA free is&#39;nt bad aswell its just the version 5 thats out at the moment needs a bit of fine tuning I use ZA pro but thats just I&#39;ve used it for some years, its still rated amongst the ppl that know about these things and after using it this long things are&#39;nt as complicated as they first appear.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Zone Alarm Pro.. they&#39;re updates over the past few years have been amazing, I&#39;ve watched as the program has transformed into what it is now of today.

One major thing I like is, it doesnt mess with your DSL connection anymore. That problem was wiped out a few years ago.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@29 July 2004 - 15:36
    Zone Alarm Pro.. they&#39;re updates over the past few years have been amazing, I&#39;ve watched as the program has transformed into what it is now of today.

One major thing I like is, it doesnt mess with your DSL connection anymore. That problem was wiped out a few years ago.
    When i had zone alarm it used to mess around with my pc abit and when i did uninstall it i couldnt get onto the internet so i had to install it again to be able to go on the net. Will it still do that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast