Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Cooling

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Recently I began work on two servers for my brother.
    Progress has come to a standstill because he is in China for two weeks, so I decided to do a little theoretical testing on Sprocket to keep myself occupied.

These servers will be operational 24/7 and, unlike Sprocket ( or your PCs too, I suspect), they will not be lovingly monitored and cared for.
    Ruggedness and simplicity is the name of the game here and I'm trying to keep the cooling as minimal as possible- the fewer fans, the smaller the chance of failure and the less maintenance to perform.

Accordingly, I decided to see just how barebones I could make Sprocket and still maintain a reasonable cooling level.
    My target was to keep full load temps under 50c.

We are seriously considering watercooling these servers as water offers not only a good cooling solution but also excellent noise reduction capabilities.
    With twin Raptors in each unit there will be a lot of heat AND noise to contend with.
    I have seen several methods of constructing water jackets for HDDs that I could easily make.

However, I have yet to watercool Sprocket's HDD, so just for a simple test I needed to add more heatload to my current waterloop. I have previously tried a waterblock on my northbridge, but I'm unconvinced that the bridge really gets very hot, so this time I decided to try the video card...a proven heat source.

It was pretty simple to attach the stock Thermaltake waterblock to the card and although the fittings were awkward ( I'd prolly change them were I to keep this setup, if not just get a purpose-built video block altogether), the loop was functional.

Prior to fitting the waterblock I was using a Zalman northbridge HS ( tall blue aluminum one) with a 120mm side intake fan to deal with the video card.
    Temps were in the range of 28-30c with that setup.

Now I am aware that this is not a very accurate test of what the servers will be like...the Raptors are likely to put out a great deal more heat than my 9600XT card does, but then again, we won't be using a POS AquariusII water kit either and I was just trying out a concept here.

Last night was the first test.
    I removed ALL the case fans.
    The only fan ( excluding the PSU, which has two) is a 92mm working as exhaust on the radiator.
    My CPU is slightly overclocked ( 210x 10.5) and also slightly undervolted ( 1.55v vs. stock 1.65v).
    I ran Folding@Home to load the CPU.
    Room ambient was in the 70's ( we are experiencing a heat wave here).
    Here's what happened....

As you can see the delta v between the case (motherboard) temp and the CPU stayed consistent at around 22c and the CPU stayed below 50c.
    The video card was at 36c when I checked this AM.

All in all, not too bad.
    My next step is to prototype a HDD cooler and try that out.
    That project could take a while, but I'll keep you posted.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    So your trying to simulate what temps the two raptors will give you if you water cool your brother's servers? using a 9600xt.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think you are looking at this in a way too complicated way. Just use a good CPU cooler and install good case ventilation. One 92mm exhaust fan or even 120mm if you really want. Let them run a little hotter than Sprocket and let them be.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I tend to agree with VB.

As you say, simplicity is what you are after. Water cooling is certainly not that.

Raptors are designed for high performance 24/7 running, you shouldn't need any special cooling for them either.

Far better (and cheaper) to go for high quality fans such as Panaflo or Papst, IMO.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Oh hell, you guys are no fun at all.

It would be boring to just throw a couple of fans in there and kick it out the door.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by clocker@14 July 2004 - 03:16

It would be boring to just throw a couple of fans in there and kick it out the door.
    then i vote you get 3 oempa-loempa's to wave your computer cool with a palmtree-leaf
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Storm+13 July 2004 - 21:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 13 July 2004 - 21:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 July 2004 - 03:16

then i vote you get 3 oempa-loempa&#39;s to wave your computer cool with a palmtree-leaf [/b][/quote]

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    An option I had not considered....hmmmm.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ati X800 is total crap.

That should bring along a few fanboys if you want to consider manual labour.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@14 July 2004 - 03:44
    Ati X800 is total crap.

That should bring along a few fanboys if you want to consider manual labour.
    The biggest fanboy (adamp2p) hasn&#39;t been around in a long time...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast