Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dvd-rom Read Speed

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    I have a 16x dvd rom drive. it' some cheap no brand, but it works fine. i'm ripping a dvd using dvd decryptor right now, and it says the read speed is 2.0x (2.825MB/s). isn't that a bit slow? especially when the drive is supposed to read at 16x? is there a way to change it to 16x? also, when i play dvds, it gets slow and laggy, it plays, but takes a long time to read. wat up? can i switch it to 16x?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    it' some cheap no brand
    u said it!thats the problem

or it may be a defective piece u have bought???what price did u bought it??

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i don't think it's the price or the brand. i thought there was a way to change the read speed

also, does the size of the disc matter? cuz this dvd is a 8gb one.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i suspect it's a firmware limitation. you should be able to read data DVDs at 16X (or close to that), but the firmware prolly has a 2X limit for DVD-Video discs in order to make it a pain in the ass to rip movies.

you should look into replacing your DVD-Rom's firmware with a hacked one which removes the video speed limit.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@28 July 2004 - 05:13
    i suspect it's a firmware limitation. you should be able to read data DVDs at 16X (or close to that), but the firmware prolly has a 2X limit for DVD-Video discs in order to make it a pain in the ass to rip movies.

you should look into replacing your DVD-Rom's firmware with a hacked one which removes the video speed limit.
    ok. prob is, i don't even know wat brand this piece of shit is. if it can rip at 2.0, that'd be nice rite now, cut the speed is down at 0, and it's been at 0 for a while now. stupid ass piece of shit! ok, now it's fast again. so

would it be easier to just dump this thing and get a new one? a good brand one this time?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    the drive should have a sticker on top that tells you who the manufacturer is, which often is completely different from the brand name on the package. so try pulling it out and looking for any labels indicating what company made it.

otherwise... there might be a program available which can help you identify the manufacturer? like maybe this one... http://hijacker.rpc1.org/discinfo/

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i'm confused. ur burning a dvd or watching a dvd? there is no 16x burners out right now. i think there are 12x in the shadows somewhere and if u got the latest dvd-rw that burns those 8.5gb dvd's then it's gonna burn slow.

as said be4. updating ur firmware is a must as new media cums out.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    he's trying to copy a DVD onto his hard drive. a lot of DVD-Rom firmwares limit movie reading to 2X speed, even though they're technically capable of reading much faster.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@28 July 2004 - 05:42
    the drive should have a sticker on top that tells you who the manufacturer is, which often is completely different from the brand name on the package. so try pulling it out and looking for any labels indicating what company made it.

otherwise... there might be a program available which can help you identify the manufacturer? like maybe this one... http://hijacker.rpc1.org/discinfo/
    heres my info that it provided:
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/ihaveabu/dvd-rominfo.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

now wat? where can i get firmware updates for this?some help please?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast