Thread: Linux / Windows File Sharing

hippychick's Avatar Memo, what memo? BT Rep: +5
    I have a friend that is using linux and ask me to post this question...I looked for this topic but didnt see it.
    Heres the question:

1) Mandrake Linux 10.0
    2) WinXP Home
    Both configured in the same Workgrouo

Linux PC can read and write to WIndows shared folder
    WIndows PC can read, but not write Linux shared folder (Access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected)
    Linux permission are set so that Owner, Group and Others can view and modify content.

What am I missing to enable the Windows PC to write to the Linux share folder?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    What are you using to share Samba?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hippychick's Avatar Memo, what memo? BT Rep: +5
    He is using Samba and LinNeighborhood

he changed permissions via the GUI

Right click --> Properties--> Permissions--> Owner/Group/Others set to "can view and modify contents

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Samba doesn't really have a gui unless you use webmin or something. You probably talking about samba client I guess that's Lin neigborhood.

Sounds like a permission issue. Your best bet is to just install a Samba "server" on the Linux box and then join the boxes in that workgroup. With the Linux Samba server you have a bit more control and you could just allow a partular group like "nobody" to have full access and that would solve any permission issues. That would only be wise if your not visible to the net. It's been a while since I used samba and I always hated Lin neighborhood cause it would take forever to find other boxes on the network.