Thread: Bittorent/computer Probs

Poster
    Right then i am having real probs with my computer and bit torrent and need some real help. i am under aol's pratinum broadband service so my downloading is usually really fast and have i have a dsl modem line.
    The problem i am having is that i have tried abc, torrent storm and nova for downloading off suprnova and torrent reactor however after about half an hour the download and upload go to zero and stick and when i go to switch off the program ie abc etc. becomes none responsive. This is the same problem i am having with my computer is i put on either kazaa or bittorrent and i have to keep manually turning it off at the switch which cant be doing it very good.
    I know aol takes up a awful lot of my system but surely there is a way around that before anyone has a go at me for having aol.
    The firewall i have which i have to say has been brill is mcafree and i have forwarded my ports on that and turned off xps firewall.
    What could be conflicting with these programs if i take them off then the system works fine but darn it i love my films and refuse to pay the prices there charging. can someone take me through a step by step as i am a total novice to computers and i have to admit i dont know how to get at some of the simple stuff as i am still learning.

please help :helpsmile:

be kind to me as i am a total noob

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Not sure exacly what your problem is but first off cant you use the internet without AOL, though Im guessing maybe you cant. Also as much as you like McAfee I think its crap and a resourse hog, I noticed it even created problems with my connection after turning it off and rebooting, I finally deleted it and after using other ones I am now using Sygate without any problems...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    ok then opinion noted i will try that and see what happens thanks for letting me know.

also to anyone looking i have just found a great p2p accelorator called cFosSpeed v1.04 you can get it on www.cFos.com.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    aol's pratinum broadband
    yeah u gotta be one to use em

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    AOL has been the best provider i have ever used with the least problems and shit happening this is the first time i&#39;ve ever had anything go wrong with aol. What is the big problem with you lot to aol i would really like to know no one has ever explained and yes i am a noob but there is no need to be patronising you were a noob once too&#33;

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    You CAN connect to internet through AOL without having all their software installed, i do it by creating a connection straight through the modem.
    If you want any info on how to do this, PM me and i`ll take you through it.
    My d/l u/l speeds and connection are so much better without all of AOL`s software installed.
    I also use Mcafee with no problem.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Originally posted by anxies@30 July 2004 - 18:48
    also to anyone looking i have just found a great p2p accelorator called cFosSpeed v1.04 you can get it on www.cFos.com.
    I&#39;ve tried cfos didn&#39;t notice any improvement in my upload or download speed

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Its been great for me has almost doubled my download speed but i&#39;m sorry if it hasnt had the same effect for you.