Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Memory

Poster
    Hi i am on bit torrent abc and aol and have had a low virtual memory warning however i have lots of memory on my system what can i do to change this i'm not sure whether i'm in the right section for this but need some help as whenever i put on kazaa lite with aol or bittorrent my system slows right down and i cannot browse and when i go to turn off bit torrent it wont let me and this is the same with my aol and main computer i have to turn off at the box. please someone tell me what i can do???? :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ram type?
    How much ram?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Avent 300 series
    AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+
    2.08 Ghz
    512MB RAM

this is the specs of my comp i have to admit to being a bit of a noob though not very good with all the tech stuff be gentle lol.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Your specs indicate that your system should easily be able to cope with running ABC and the AOL soft. Something must be wrong.

Have you checked for spyware recently? This is the type of thing that can happen if your machine is ridden with spyware, download Spysweeper or adaware and do a full scan of your system to make sure there aren&#39;t gremlins eating up your RAM. Once completed tun an online virus scan at trendmicro as a precaution.

Once you&#39;ve done all that I reckon your computer should speed up some.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    VIRTUAL memory isnt the same as internal memory (your RAM)

virtual memory is space windows reserves on you HDD to store files temporarily

now even though the virtual memory has no real use if you have 512MB RAM, windows and windows programs tend to go crazy without it (especially m&#036; stuff )

@ anxies:
    (loged in as an admin)
    hit windows+pauze button
    goto advanced tab
    goto advanced tab

at the bottom it says virtual memory

how much is that???
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    right then first things first have already used adaware and spyware not a issue have deleted cache files and cookies then run your virus scan and nothing but something aint right???

and to the other one if you dont mind can you tell me where the pause button is on my keyboard/system?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    right then storm here are my virtual memory settings

TOTAL PAGING FILE SIZE 4 ALL DRIVES

MIN ALLOWED 2MB
    RECOMMENDED 766MB
    CURRENTLY ALLOCATED 767MB

Thanks for any help

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Try in properies of my computer under system performance or summat u can change the swap file there, if you let windows run it then after getting warnings like this it should adjust itself but if not u can manually set it, I think the setting it 1.5 or 2.5 times the ram (probably wrong ) and most tips reccomend setting the min and max settings as the same, this keeps the page file as 1 cluster on the disc and stops it fragmenting as fast.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    well first of all set the paging file to one amount

same minimum as maximum........ try 768 MB (1.5 times your RAM)

then defrag (start->all programs->accessories->system tools) all hard drives

if your still getting low virtual mem errors, check your taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del, process tab) to see what is using how much memory.....

especially check the programs running under your name, but you didnt initiate
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Thats what I meant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast