Thread: Antec True380

Ok so I just bought an Antec True380 and 2 speed controlled fans....and its kinda quieter....so right now it has 2 fans (connected to the antec power thing, so it goes slower) and 2 other fans....2 intake, 2 exhaust. But I noticed that the temperatures are freaking high now. My CPU idles at 46 freaking degrees....when it used to idle at 33....and my motherboard idles at 41 now and it used to be lik 30....My room did get hotter, but only a few degrees...not enough to raise the thing 15 degrees celsius....and under heavy load my case used to be 95 or 96 degrees F....now its 100 idle...I used to have a crap 350W PSU with only 2 fans and it used to be much cooler...i mean is the psu that hot?? it seems the change is too big

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Well, slowing down fans will reduce the amount of air moved and make them quieter. There is a trade-off between quietness and coolness. If you want to keep things quiet and cool then you need more fans at slower speeds or larger fans.

Also remember that if the computer gets any hotter then the built-in controller will speed up the fans automatically.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've said it before, but that won't stop me from saying it again...I really don't like the Antec "fan only"power connector concept.
    Your case fans should respond- either thermally or by manual control- to the actual case environment...not the inside of the PSU housing.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I see your point, clocker. But, if everything else stays the same, then doesn't the rise in case temp cause a rise in the PSU housing?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    that doesnt have to be in the same proportion.......... what if the PSU produces WAY less heet(than his other PSU)???? that will keep the PSU cooler, thinking the case is cooler........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 August 2004 - 20:13
    I see your point, clocker. But, if everything else stays the same, then doesn't the rise in case temp cause a rise in the PSU housing?
    Not necessarily, VB.

The thermal sensor is located on the pcb inside the PSU and is (possibly) spoofed by the PSU fan blowing directly on it.

During the short time that I ran my Antec with that feature I don't recall the case fans ever changing speed.
    Had they varied ( even with a time lag) with the rise and fall of the CPU temps I might have been happy, but they didn't...hence my skepticism.

My current PSU doesn't have a fan on the bottom ( above the HSF).
    It's two fans are on either end instead, and the output from the exhaust is unfailingly cool, so I don't think that under normal conditions the interior of the power supply ever gets all that hot.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    hmm yeah...actually i dont think these fans ever changed the speed...cuz under full load my CPU gets up to about 53 degrees...i dun think the PSU itself doesnt change fan speeds much either, or i havent noticed...it idles at like 42 degrees now...but i noticed my CPU fan gets up to like 3700 RPM when my cpu gets above 50 degrees (normally runs at 2700 RPM)...and DAMN that thing gets loud

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    hmm i found an odd problem...i think its the PSU fan....like every minute, for 10 secs, i hear creaking sound from the back of the computer. I think its the fan creaking or something...its kinda annoying....is this normal?? can i fix it?