Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What.

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Disable balloon pop-ups in xp to prevent thoose nagging messages.

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_balloontips.htm

Lots of other useful trinkets at Doug's site too.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    to disable the ballontips you could also just use Tweak UI and under "Taskbar and Start Menu" uncheck "enable ballon tips"

trouble is, the ballon itself isnt usually the problem, the problem is that some programs wont work without enough virtual memory (even if you have enough RAM), or windows will just completly shut down some programs without warning (it just disapears as if never existed, and you dont get a chance to save your work)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Storm@4 August 2004 - 23:54
    ...windows will just completly shut down some programs without warning (it just disapears as if never existed, and you dont get a chance to save your work)
    I've not heard of that happening but I could certainly imagine a program locking up because disk space was zero as the user wasn't warned about low disk space because ballon tips were turned off.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+4 August 2004 - 18:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 4 August 2004 - 18:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@4 August 2004 - 23:54
    ...windows will just completly shut down some programs without warning (it just disapears as if never existed, and you dont get a chance to save your work)
    I&#39;ve not heard of that happening but I could certainly imagine a program locking up because disk space was zero as the user wasn&#39;t warned about low disk space because ballon tips were turned off. [/b][/quote]
    Now that&#39;s just plain dufus. If you need a ballon tip in xp to warn you about something as imperative as low disk space then maybe you should take advantage of XP&#39;s accessiblity and handicapped features as well.

Btw, I&#39;v not found a balloon tip that was anywhere near useful. Most of them consist of "take a tour of xp" or "sign up for .net account." Just frivilous unecessary stuff.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by shn@5 August 2004 - 00:18
    If you need a ballon tip in xp to warn you about something as imperative as low disk space then maybe you should take advantage of XP&#39;s accessiblity and handicapped features as well.

Btw, I&#39;v not found a balloon tip that was anywhere near useful. Most of them consist of "take a tour of xp" or "sign up for .net account." Just frivilous unecessary stuff.
    Thanks for that. The low disk space warning is particularly useful for those of us downloading at a rate faster than we can transcode and burn.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    No prob. And your probably right.

But what the hell do I know. I only speak for Power Users.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+5 August 2004 - 01:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 5 August 2004 - 01:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@5 August 2004 - 00:18
    If you need a ballon tip in xp to warn you about something as imperative as low disk space then maybe you should take advantage of XP&#39;s accessiblity and handicapped features as well.

Btw, I&#39;v not found a balloon tip that was anywhere near useful.&nbsp; Most of them consist of "take a tour of xp" or "sign up for .net account."&nbsp; Just frivilous unecessary stuff.
    Thanks for that. The low disk space warning is particularly useful for those of us downloading at a rate faster than we can transcode and burn. [/b][/quote]
    true, but the trouble is, if you (like me) have multiple disks and you keep getting a warning about some disk being full (that you really dont care about) you just turn it off, and thus miss it when something important happens

kinda the boy who cried wolf story.........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12