Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting From Usb Floppy Disk Drive

BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    i want to test my Rams with Ramtest 86 but i have a USB Floppy drive, and i cant boot the disk with it, i wonder if there is any way.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    In BIOS enable the option to "Boot from other device" before "boot from Hdd1".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    memtest is laos availabile on a cd im sure, so u can use that if u cant get ur usb floppy to work

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Or simply make a bootable cd using that floppy as the boot image source.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I like this program, there are three memory testers and other goodies on it . Still need to dowload and burn to disk . Also need to enter bios to set boot from cdrom. In a nut shell all of the above posts.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by clocker@5 August 2004 - 13:54
    In BIOS enable the option to "Boot from other device" before "boot from Hdd1".
    there is "USB floppy" option in Bios but still it doesnt boot with it.

memtest is laos availabile on a cd im sure, so u can use that if u cant get ur usb floppy to work
    There lots of Booting option, my Cdwriter doesnt work neither.
    there is a Bootup with LILO(linux Loader), can u tell me where can i get it.

Or there is another way,
    Back to Old days, when i had PIII i used to press f8 to enter the DOS when PC was Starting up, In PIV its changed can somebody tell me how to do it so i can run the Memtest command from DOS.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ok is there any way to Schedule a virtual drive to Boot at startup just like Norton Ghost when restoring a Backup image.

Benjamen button

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    there is "USB floppy" option in Bios but still it doesnt boot with it.
    There is an option in the bios for usb make sure both (if 2) are on I need these to enable my usb keyboard otherwise its a no go in dos on boot up, maybe you want this too besides that no idea sorry.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    The change you are talking about (PIII to PVI) is actually nothing to do with the processor. Your old OS (Win9x or WinME) was Dos based so pressing F8 gave you the opportunity to simply stop after it had loaded Dos.

Your current OS (Win2k or XP) is not based on Dos, so that option after pressing F8 is not available.

Go into the Bios Setup, and look at the Boot options. You should be able to select what devices you can boot from, and the order that it checks them. Your pc will boot from the first bootable device it finds, so if that is set as your hdd (possibly labeled IDE-0) it will always boot from that device unless you wipe the OS from your system.

If you want to boot from some other device you have to put that device earlier in the list of devices that it can boot from. In the case of USB floppy disk, that usually counts as "Other Devices". If you create a bootable cd you have to tell your system to try to boot from cd before it tries the hdd.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2004 - 22:40
    The change you are talking about (PIII to PVI) is actually nothing to do with the processor. Your old OS (Win9x or WinME) was Dos based so pressing F8 gave you the opportunity to simply stop after it had loaded Dos.

Your current OS (Win2k or XP) is not based on Dos, so that option after pressing F8 is not available.

Go into the Bios Setup, and look at the Boot options. You should be able to select what devices you can boot from, and the order that it checks them. Your pc will boot from the first bootable device it finds, so if that is set as your hdd (possibly labeled IDE-0) it will always boot from that device unless you wipe the OS from your system.

If you want to boot from some other device you have to put that device earlier in the list of devices that it can boot from. In the case of USB floppy disk, that usually counts as "Other Devices". If you create a bootable cd you have to tell your system to try to boot from cd before it tries the hdd.
    I seted 1st boot sequnce to USB Floppy but still it doesnt Boot from it.

Benjamen button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast