Thread: Laptop Batteries.....rediculous

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    This is Rediculous,

I've had my Laptop(siemens) for 2 yrs now and the battery only last 20minutes.
    My Gfirends laptop (its even a Dell) turns off immediatly if you pull out the main plug.
    As for my old Toshiba 255mhz that battery in there serves as a paper weight.

In the Future, when i get a new battery ill leave it out (or disconnected) until I REALLY need it.

I guess thats the only way to save it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    lemme guess, a new battery costs over 100 bucks..........

thats why i dont like laptops......
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Duh! In The Playboy Mansion - Where Else? :P
    You might as well use cell phone batteries, for one thing they last longer and you can charge them up and they last for a long time, i agree with you dont like laptops very much either.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    This is not a topic about whether you dislike Laptops (as i know most of u do)
    it simply concerns the issue of neglect on behalf of the manufacturers. and maybe useful to other Laptop owners.

Actually why not put a Real Battery into the Stationaries-could be useful in Africa etc with failing electricity.

@lvlister2003 - Cell Phone batteries have exactly the same problem (and may i ask do you stillown a cell phone battery of over 2 yrs?)

Just found this

"Some laptops do not have good charging circuits, they charge the battery, run off the battery, charge the battery and so on whereas what you want ideally is it running directly off AC when connected. However if you really won't be using the battery for a loooooong time, your better running it down to about 50% then removing it entirely. Storing when fully charged or fully discharged can also be bad for your battery.

Posted - 05/08/2004 : 19:12:44
    the best bet is to turn off sleep mode or hibernate then run the laptop till
    it shuts down on its own...

if your batt is bad do this then recharge then do above again
    if it holds more power then great..if not time for a new batt
    "

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@5 August 2004 - 19:25
    Posted - 05/08/2004 : 19:12:44
    the best bet is to turn off sleep mode or hibernate then run the laptop till
    it shuts down on its own...

if your batt is bad do this then recharge then do above again
    if it holds more power then great..if not time for a new batt
    "
    [/b]
    I'm pretty sure this is out of date information for newer laptops.

It is referring to the memory effect in NiCd batteries. Does anyone still use them? The "old" battery in my cell phone was NiMH, and had a negligible memory effect. When I replaced it I got a Lithium-ion battery which has no memory effect at all, has slightly higher capacity for a slimmer battery, and weighs about half as much.

If you are replacing a NiCd or NiMh battery, look to see if there is a Li-ion equivalent. It may cost a little bit more (or maybe not), but it is well worth making the change. Better for the environment when you dispose of it too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my flatmate has an old samsung laptop whihc has a ni-mh battery, i booted windows 2000 and uplugged the mains and it had a estimated run life of about 55minutes. so if you booted of it and used it youd probably be lucky to gte 30mins. i get about 2.5-3 hours on my li-ion battery in my compaq.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    you can't recharge laptop batteries?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!