Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen Of Death

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    4th Master Hard Disk: SMART Command Failed
    Press F1 to resume.

This message I recive when just doing totally normal things on my computer. The A:/ drive will suddenly start making a loud clicking noise like it is trying to read a disk, Windows locks up. And then a black screen with that message appears and i am forced to hard boot the computer. Sometimes when that happens,before Windows loads, another black screen comes up asking me for a boot device forcing me to restart over and over again until just out of frustration i leave the computer off for a little while, and then use my telekenesis to tell Windows to load. And it does and now i am able to type this message. Not 2 minutes ago i was typing this and suddenly it happened and i had to write this message all over again. Why is my computer doing this? It even does it when nobody is at the computer. :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    could be something wrong with ur drive.

during boot does ur computer say anything about your hard drives? for example, on boot mine says teh model of teh drive then says smart status: OK. does yours mention smart at all?

smart tells u ahead of time if ur drive is gonna fail.

there are also windows apps u can run to check the smart status but i can't think of any atm.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    No, my computer is not like that. When I boot the computer just Gateway's logo appears and a status bar on the bottom goes from left to right. Sometimes it staggers but that is about it. No status though.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    oh, ic, well ill find u a smart accessing windows program to see if anything is the matter.

hold on a sec.

edit: i have no clue what to search for, so i can't really find anything.

but i do know that speedfan accesses smart so maybe u can find some problems with that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    A quick suggestion would be to quickly back up any important info. in case of HD failure...Or accidently deleteing a partition like some fool(lost 15gigs ouch)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    you know on bios splash screens theres normally a button to press to see what the pc is doing. try pressing tab or f1 or something. cant remember which button. evn though i do it all the time on school pcs

or try takng the floppy drive out. no-one uses them anymore anyway
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Did you scan for viruses it could possably be that. that is if you can keep your computer running long enough to scan. If not i would just backup everything u need and just reformat your computer and if it still does it after that then its a hardware issue...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    What about trying to boot without your disc or floppy drive?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by MicroScreen2@30 July 2004 - 17:51
    you know on bios splash screens theres normally a button to press to see what the pc is doing. try pressing tab or f1 or something. cant remember which button. evn though i do it all the time on school pcs

or try takng the floppy drive out. no-one uses them anymore anyway
    Its tab.

My parents pc is having a prob similar to this. Not exactly the same but close. I know I unplugged it once and put one of my drives in to transfer some files. Then when I put her secondary back in it was working.

But then problem came back and hasnt gone away.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@31 July 2004 - 03:24
    But then problem came back and hasnt gone away.
    with every drive u use?

sounds like its a cable issue. that or all ur hard drives got screwed over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast