Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reformat

I wanna reformat cuz my computer being really slow and i cant fix it....i only have 5 DVD discs and about 50 gigs of stuff on my hard drive....I heard i can back up my stuff on my hard drive and then erase it later after i reformat, how would i do this??

also, is there a way to back up my hard drive so i dont have to reinstall everything again?? or do i have to reinstall every single program....thatll take a while

can someone please give me a guide to reformatting XP Home??

also do i need to do THIS?

thx alot

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Why not burn to disk what you want to keep. Back up drivers ,programs .etc. What I like about a clean install , is I have my back up disk's . So then I format ,reinstall win o/s , then update windows, . My problems is with all my cracks,and serial numbers . I write them down, then d/l newer programs . All is good, Chewie had a post about file transfer wizard. I'll see if I can find.

Here: https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showt...0&#entry1106973

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    so how would i back up drivers and programs?? and am i supposed to do that file transfer thing??

argh this is so confusing

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@7 August 2004 - 11:53
    so how would i back up drivers and programs?? and am i supposed to do that file transfer thing??

argh this is so confusing
    Sorry, XxKrNxStyLeZxX reformating is easy, but if you want your puter back and running how it was, thats anouther story. B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX+7 August 2004 - 19:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XxKrNxStyLeZxX &#064; 7 August 2004 - 19:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>...I heard i can back up my stuff on my hard drive and then erase it later after i reformat, how would i do this??...[/b]

Backing up means copying to a safe place.
    Formatting means wiping everything from the drive.
    Now, given those two explanations, it would obviously be a little dumb to backup files to a drive that is going to be formatted.
    I hope this is not what you are suggesting.
    You can copy what you want to keep to DVDRW discs, format your drive, install Windows, copy the backups to the hard drive again, then erase the RW discs. If your discs are DVD-R or DVD+R, though, you can&#39;t erase them and re-use later.
    If you don&#39;t have enough space on blank DVDs for the stuff you want to keep, a format is pretty much out of the question.

<!--QuoteBegin-XxKrNxStyLeZxX
    @7 August 2004 - 19:53
    argh this is so confusing[/quote]
    Is what you want to do still confusing?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ok ok....im guessing not but is there a way to copy programs so i dont have to install them again?? im guessing i cant just burn the whole folder of an app.....

and how about my settings?? like my drivers....and whatever else settings i might have changed...is there a way to back this up??

and is there a website that explains step by step how to reformat

thx again

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    couln&#39;t he make a second patition with partition magic, move his backups there and format the first partition then delete the second? or just leave it there?

ok ok....im guessing not but is there a way to copy programs so i dont have to install them again?? im guessing i cant just burn the whole folder of an app.....
    that almost never works.
    I only licked you for the salt

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Chame1eon@8 August 2004 - 02:29
    couln&#39;t he make a second patition with partition magic, move his backups there and format the first partition then delete the second? or just leave it there?

that almost never works.
    actually its perfectly possible. just save a backup of your regsitry. and every program u back up will work perfect after the format. just use a registry cleaner afterwards to clean out what junk is in the registry that u no longer need.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    wait....so i can just save folders like that??? and i can make another partion right now and only reformat the other part?? hmm................

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    Did you ever format it?
    What happened?
    I only licked you for the salt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast