Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Networking

Hi, for a start i hope i have posted this in the right place , if not please move me .
    Anyway I'm going to install a wireless network using the 802.11g standard and I was just wanting to check i have everything i need as i am an absolut novice to WLAN. I understand and can execute a Wired LAN but this Wireless stuff is news to me lol.

Well i figured that i needed some kind of Access Pint or Router so my choice due to recommendation is the :

Linksys WRT54G WIRELESS BROADBAND ROUTER 54MBPS 802.11G

It seems to do what i need ans even though i dont have broadband in my area yet it will be part of my network as soon as it is available to me.

Then i came to a halt when thinking about how many wireless network cards i need. I have three computers and a laptop needing networked. The laptop has a built in wireless card on the 802.11b standard which is ok (i think and also the laptop will rarely be using the network) as the router spec claims back compatibility with the rest of the network. The other 3 computers do not have wireless cards but 2 have 10/100 Mb NIC's. So my question is do i need 3 Wireless network cards or can i connect one computer directly to the router meaning i only have to get 2 Wireless network cards and still have full access to the rest of the network.

My choice of Wirless card was the :
    Belkin 54g Wireless PCI Adapter

This choice was more cost related but if it is not know to have good compatibility with the router i can splash out extra £30 for the Linksys cards.

My reason for wireless and not wired is I cannot install wires throught the house and also the house is large and i am willing to pay the extra for wireless rather than spend a few days putting in network wires and sockets. Yet the 20Mb/s + speed of 802.11g is apealing.

Anyways thanks for having a look at my post and thanks in advance for any help
    Have a nice day ;-)

JOHAN
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    All wireless routers have at least one wired connection point.
    Without one it would be almost impossible to perform setup functions.

So you can use that as a permanent connection for one of your pc's.

And you are right about it being backwards compatible with 802.11b, but you must remember to turn off 802.11 validation as this makes sure all your devices are using the same wireless version (which you aren't).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well thank you very much for the info Mr JP Fugley & Lynx , very much appreciated. On the note of avoiding confics i spent £37 extra on buying the Linksys cards and im sure it will probably be a bit easier to set-up using matching cards. Also thanks for the info about connecting one computer direct , it makes sence to me now lol . Anyways thanks alot guys and im sure things will run a bit more smoothly now i know that !

JOHAN
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It should be 192.168.1.1 for accessing the router from the PCs.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thanks for that J'Pol , i have copied it down for reference. I am reading about the MAC filtering , what is the best way to find a MAC address or is it displayed in the client computer software or relating to a printed code on the hardware.
    Thanks again
    JOHAN
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by johannes001@7 August 2004 - 23:17
    thanks for that J'Pol , i have copied it down for reference. I am reading about the MAC filtering , what is the best way to find a MAC address or is it displayed in the client computer software or relating to a printed code on the hardware.
    Thanks again
    JOHAN
    Sorry, I can't really help you there.

It's not something I have ever had to bother with. I just let the router take care of most things. It seems to know what it is doing.

The only semi-technical thing I have done is forward a few ports to a specific PC. For things like Soulseek.

I am sure someone else will be able to assist tho'.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Use the getmac command (from the command prompt) to find mac addresses. You will need to have the Windows Management Instrumentation service enabled in order to run this command (it is enabled by default but it is one of the services recommended to be disabled for better security).

With the right permissions you can find the mac addresses for all your pc's from a central source (use getmac /? for details), but you may find it easier to go to each pc in turn.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    See

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks again guy's.
    I ordered the router and cards last night and are due for delivery on Tues/Wed (delivery to North Scotland is not very reliable&#33 I have downloaded a copy of the manual in preperation (I had very little to do ). I live in a fairly remote area but i think i am going to go for the MAC filtering . I'm can only get dial up here at the moment so anyone searching for wireless net round here is going to get a shock. . Anyway thanks and i will try out the MAC address filtering and pick out the addresses off each computer.
    Thanks again!
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    You should have gone for McBranes special delivery.

That way you'd have had it by...

Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast