Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Guide To Secure Your Pc

Making XP more secure!

Ok, when running windows its very important to secure you pc!
    Windows is the most used OS, that means hackers will only concentrate on Windows
    it isnt true that windows isnt secure, its just as secure as linux or any other OS!

When you first boot into XP, you will see the out of the box wizard, wich asks you information about your internet connection etc,
    when it asks for user accounts make a useraccount called "Install account"
    here you update windows and install the programs you need etc...

Now the most important thing to do after installing is Updating Windows, this will fix many security holes and adds new usefull features to Windows.

Important to do now is enabling the Build in firewall, if you dont do this you can get infected with Worms and other virusses,
    Start --> Control panel --> network and internet, right click your connection, go to properties, and check the box to enable the Firewall/ICF,

Now lets Connect to the internet and load up IE.
    Go to Extra --> Windows update, this will take you to the windows update page, when it asks to install the update software click yes, so it will be able to check what updates you still need, or what ones need to be installed
    It will look something like this:
    Image Resized
    http://www.sunymaritime.edu/email/windows%20update%20instructions_files/image006.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>

After installing the windows update softwar it will check what updates you still need, click on Install now, if you havent Service pack 1 installed yet, it will ask you to do so, click Yes

The sp1 installer will load up, when it asks to archive files, check "yes" so you will be able to remove sp1 in case of Problems you may encounter
    let it download and install, after install it will reboot your pc, click OK

Another good way to install SP1 or SP2 is integrating it into your Windows installation, that way you save time and bandwith&#33;
    a good tool to do this is <a href='http://mhtools.knoware.nl/raptor/autostreamer/AutoStreamer.zip]AutoStreamer

Image Resized
    http://mhtools.knoware.nl/raptor/autostreamer/as_01.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>
    It will integrate all new files to your CD, so you can easily burn it again later.

After booting up again SP1 should be working fine, go to start and right click on my computer, then properties, if it says Service pack 1 you should be fine,

Now, lets install all the other updates, load up IE and go to windows update, let it check for updates, then install all the critical updates, also look at the other updates, for windows and hardware, install them to if you wish,

A little window will pop up, let it download the updates and install them, reboot ur pc

check windows update again, to see if there are any other updates you want, if not close it, we now want to be protected from virusses.
    When windows is up to date, you should enable automatic updates, so Windows can download updates when they are released

Also a good program for ppl with dial up or with many pc&#39;s is <a href='http://www.AutoPatcher.com]Autopatcher

IMG]http://www.autopatcher.com/images/Screenshots/UpdateFull1.jpg[/IMG
    Its packed with all the XP updates, so you can just burn this to a cd, and after installing XP, load up this prog and let it install all the XP patches, this is best method, as you dont have to whaste bandwith everytime you install windows&#33;

Now we want to change the administrator password, in XP pro you could change it when installing windows, if you didnt or you have XP home, lets boot in safe mode, log in as administrator and go to user account settings, you cna change the password there, dont make it easy, use numbers and lettres&#33;

After this we gonna change some settings to have a higher security.
    IE: as said before, like everyone uses IE, and became the target of millions of hackers, so its very important change some security settings.
    load up IE, go to tool --&#62; internet options --&#62; security tab
    IMG]http://support.hubris.net/images/software/xp/ie6/cap005.gif[/IMG
    click on custom level

disable everything you dont need, its recommend to disable activeX, to prevent spyware being installed on your system&#33;
    but as activeX is the reason why ppl still use IE, there is no real point in disabling it
    so my suggestion is to use a alternative browser, I use Firefox its a very fast and easy browser, and has support for themes and plug ins

also, its recommend using a hosts file, there allready is a great guide on this, so there is no need for me to write something about it
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Now, lets protect ourselves from hackers or intruders in your system&#33;
    Its recommend installing a other firewall then the build in one, cause the XP firewall doesnt protect your system from Outbound communication
    Which one is up to you, a few free ones are
    ZoneAlarm - Screenshot

Sygate - Screenshot

Outpost - Screenshot

Lets close some unsecure Xp services now, go to start --&#62; run --&#62; services.msc
    IMG]http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/WU/autupdate.jpg[/IMG

Find messenger service right click on it and go to properties --&#62; choose disabled at starup drop down menu, and click on "stop"
    do the same thing for
    SSDP (its not needed unless your Toaster is hooked up to your PC)
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Telnet
    Routing and Remote Access
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    QoS RSVP
    Remote Registry
    its recommend to reboot after each service is disabled to make sure you don&#39;t encounter any problems

Lets do a online port scan now, if all ports are closed you are safe
    http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

First thing we want to do now is using a online scanner to check for virusses, Some virusses could prevent a antivirus from being installed
    a few online virusscanners are:

Symantec online scanner
    Trendmicro

After that we need to install a antivirusscanner to ensure you wont get any virusses in the future,
    which one is up to you, here are a few free ones:

Avast - Screenshot
    This one has skin support, so ur lucky when you dont like the interface it has
    AVG - Screenshot
    Antivir - Screenshot
    Bitdefender - Screenshot

Well, we are pretty much protected now, but still we need to get a decent anti trojan, cause antivirus scanner are pretty bad at caching trojans&#33;
    i recommend getting www.moosoft.com]The cleaner[/url]
    IMG]http://www.virtualsoftware.com/MooSoft/Cleaner/cleaner4.gif[/IMG

Spyware&#33; one of the most anoying things on the internet, packed with many free programs.
    After following this guide, you should be free from spyware being installed from your browser, but you can still get infected with spyware thats packed with programs.
    First, we need to prevent spyware from being installed&#33;
    a program thats pretty good for this is Spywareblaster
    load it up, let it update, and check protect all, ur new protected from a big list of spyware from installing&#33;
    IMG]http://ringonoki.net/s-shot/antiv/spywareblaster-2.png[/IMG

Now, another program we need is Spywareguard it runs in the background like a antivirus, when spyware gets installed, or when ur home page is being changed a message will pop up like a antivirus would do when a virus is detected.

It saved me a few times when spyware tried to change my home page, i just blocked it with this program, worked like a charm&#33;

Now, when you allready got spyware on your system we will want to remove it
    a few programs you need for this are:
    Ad-aware - Screenshot

Spybot Search and destroy - Screenshot

Bazooka adware and spywarescanner - Screenshot

Load them up and update them, run them all so you get all spyware, one program cant detect all spyware, use them all

Final thouch is making a Limited User as your main account, before doing this install all the programs you want on ur pc, done?
    then go to the user account settings and create a new limited user, call it whatever you want, ur real name or nickname...

Now unplug your internet cable and your all set&#33;
    only joking

enjoy&#33;

i wonna help as much ppl as i can with this guide, also because many ppl have many security problems or get infected with trojans etc...

blah, had to remove a few images cause i posted to much of them
    that kind of links are not alowed.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    noone interested?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Duh! In The Playboy Mansion - Where Else? :P
    Nice post&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Out of The Ordinary
    Well done, although You messed up some of the IMG tags
    Great guide for people that doesn&#39;t know much about security.

BOT

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by [B][O][T]@8 August 2004 - 15:18
    Well done, although You messed up some of the IMG tags

BOT
    thx&#33;

i had to mess up some img tags, cause it gave me a error i used to many pictures
    maybe a admin can change the number to 20?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Great guide. Just saw this.

Anyone one else have tips to add?

Maybe it could be pinned?

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Last edited by hungrylilboy; 01-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Originally posted by MeDieViL+8 August 2004 - 15:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MeDieViL &#064; 8 August 2004 - 15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-&#091;B
    [O][T],8 August 2004 - 15:18] Well done, although You messed up some of the IMG tags

BOT
    thx&#33;

i had to mess up some img tags, cause it gave me a error i used to many pictures
    maybe a admin can change the number to 20? [/b][/quote]
    another great post, you looking to have a stack of pinned topics

thanks for the guide

bunch of stuff here

download page.

snny recommended spyware blaster, seem good to me

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Last edited by hungrylilboy; 01-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    This is a smart guide, I&#39;ll need to have a look at this slipstreaming palaver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast