Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reformatting Didn't Work..help!

kay...I did my first reformatting of my hard drive last night. And I'm not sure if I did it right.
    I used an oem windows xp cd to boot and followed instructions where it got to the point where windows was reinstalled. However there was one point where about 8mb were unpartitioned and I don' t know what I did to it. But the majority of the 76gb hardrive I selected 'd' to delete then 'c' to create partition....whatever that means. Then I think i hit 'enter' and it begat formating...it took about 30mins. Everything was erased except the errors.

so anyhoo...I reinstalled drivers, updated windows, etc. And as I was installing things I was still getting the errors, and my computer would constantly reset itself.
    After I installed norton AV corp ed. It foud six viruses, it took a while to quarantine one of them which was the w32irc.bot virus.

these are the a sample of errors I get after windows restarts:
    c:\windows\minidump\mini080904.01.dmp
    c:\doc~1\roderi~1\locals~1\temp\wer1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
    c:\temp\wera.tmp.dir00\lsass.exe.mdp\appcompat.txt

please guys...I need some serious help here, did I do something wrong with the format? Is there another source for these errors? what should I do? suggestions, comments, step by step guide would be appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    make sure your virus def are up to date, restart computer in safe mode, and rescan for viruses. See if that helps.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by firefox@9 August 2004 - 15:04
    make sure your virus def are up to date, restart computer in safe mode, and rescan for viruses. See if that helps.
    no viruses

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Did you delete the partitions or just reformated?
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    you sure you windows copy hasnt got corrupted files? where did you get your copy from?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Here's a helpful guide , But you should deal with the virus first .
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Edit: This file . c:\temp\wera.tmp.dir00\lsass.exe.mdp\appcompat.txt

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I think i deleted the partitions and formatted...however I didn't type c: format at any prompt. When at the window setup screen I pressed d to delete, then l to lose information, then c to create new partition, then started formatting automatically.
    Is this right? Is there an easier way to format?

The windows cd I have is the original that I purchased when I got my pc...it has product key and everything.

HELP!!!!!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Bruce, your thinking of the old dos way, read my edit, it has a great guide for xp.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    ok, you might want to check your hdd for errors because you say you have no viruses. I have no idea how to check the hdd for errors but other members will be helpful in directing to you how and what you need to check the hdd for errors.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by chinook_apache@9 August 2004 - 13:57
    ok, you might want to check your hdd for errors because you say you have no viruses. I have no idea how to check the hdd for errors but other members will be helpful in directing to you how and what you need to check the hdd for errors.
    CHKDSK at command prompt . Sorry it's under start ,programs, accessories .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast