Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funny Idea

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Windows XP says I have a 400Mbps connection on the network.

that's around 40MB (Mega Bytes) Per Second.

BTW, in the first post.. i ment 10MB (Mega Bytes) Per Second, not 10Mbps (Mega Bits Per Second).. that's slow as sh*t if I had that speed.

For instance.. I have an internet connection that's 1500-3000Mbps, it downloads from 300-500kb/s. and yes, I've gotten a 480-500kb/s download a few times.. pretty sweet

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    3000 kbps is actually 375 kBps

what i wanna know is what if you had two pcs, each with 5 1000mbps ethernet cards and linked them together with crossover cables

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by TheDave@10 August 2004 - 22:36

what i wanna know is what if you had two pcs, each with 5 1000mbps ethernet cards and linked them together with crossover cables
    hmm, well i think pci express allows only 133mb/s through the pci bus...no? and that is with all pci cards combined, no?
    so basically only one would be useful, rest are bottlenecked. not to mention all the driveers uyou would need to be running to ahve all those cards+combine them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i find it hard to believe pci express, pci even can only transfer at 133megabits per second. think. all that data travveling round your motherboard is raw and has to find its way from harddrive to motherboard to ram to cpu to graphics card in milliseconds

i'm not an expert though

i think i may have been imagining K not M :helpsmile:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by TheDave@10 August 2004 - 21:36

how come I get atleast 400kb/s alot?
    heh, isp must be giving more than described.. sweet

and I beilieve pcs dont act too well with more than one NIC card.
    I have tried with both 2 NICs and a different computer with an Onboard NIC-n-PCI Nic Card. Both Systems booted up into windows, but eventually just froze without any recovery. When I took the extra NICs out, they didnt freeze.. never that bad! heh, hardware problems cause drastic things to happen like that mostly.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Wolfmight+12 August 2004 - 00:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight @ 12 August 2004 - 00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheDave@10 August 2004 - 21:36

how come I get atleast 400kb/s alot?
    heh, isp must be giving more than described.. sweet

and I beilieve pcs dont act too well with more than one NIC card.
    I have tried with both 2 NICs and a different computer with an Onboard NIC-n-PCI Nic Card. Both Systems booted up into windows, but eventually just froze without any recovery. When I took the extra NICs out, they didnt freeze.. never that bad&#33; heh, hardware problems cause drastic things to happen like that mostly. [/b][/quote]
    Pcs can work fine with two network cards (I set my friend&#39;s computer up like that, maybe you had a driver problem?) But yes, 400Mbps.... thats firewire (1394) not ethernet.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ah, my onboard said firewire.. that&#39;s cool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12