Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ares

Just downloaded Ares.
    Can anyone tell me why it keeps making a full scan of my system, and what is all this hash priority??
    Also, each time i try to do a search - it gives me zero results?
    What am i doing wrong, and is Ares a good file sharing program.
    Any help would be great
    Thanks
    skylark

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Hi,

Ares seems OK, just started using it myself. Lot of stuff seems to come straight from the Kazaa network, which is a bit of a shame. When it's starting, it will make a scan of all the folders you've decided to share with other users. It makes "hashes" of these files so it can tell other users what files you're sharing.

The hash priority just means if you set it to high it'll do the hashes faster but use more of your system resources, so your comp will work slower while it's doing this. Just leave it on normal and it'll do it in the background.

Dunno 'bout your serarch results, try searching something popular like "britney" or "eminem" and if you still get zero search results then there's definitely a problem. Come back then and maybe we can help you out.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    thanks for the reply, ive tried about 10 different searches and still nothing, ive looked into the preferences but all looks ok, im only a beginner though!
    ????????????????

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Beginner shouldn't really come into it, if you can get to the search tab and type in your search request, that's all there is to it.

Are you behind a router or anything, or are you directly connecte dto the Internet?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    i am using kazaa and that works ok, and im using zone alarm, but thats about it

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by skylark@12 August 2004 - 02:44
    i am using kazaa and that works ok, and im using zone alarm, but thats about it
    Zone Alarm v5+ seems to cause file-sharing programs IMMENSE problems.
    They even recommended going back to ZA v4.5 till they resolve those issues!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    never seemed to have a problem with ZA and K lite working together. Is it possible that it could cause problems with Ares and not with K lite?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    are u sure you are connected? also sometimes i would have to wait for 'would you like to choose a nickname' pop up screen before i could use search. Give the prog a couple of min before u start searching.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by skylark@12 August 2004 - 12:59
    never seemed to have a problem with ZA and K lite working together. Is it possible that it could cause problems with Ares and not with K lite?
    Yes, ZA may cause Ares problems but not K-Lite.

You can try adjusting ZA's settings and reading about other people with the same problems (found using GOOGLE.)

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Ares is a great P2P for me.

Re searching make sure you are "Online" look at the blue status line at the top. It will tell you if you are online and for how long. If you are not connected here then you will be able to download but not upload or search.

I find that I have to re-install Ares every few days otherwise it seems to stop going on-line for me.

Regards

Digby NZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast