Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Hmos?

What are HMOs? What is their role in Health Care?

I have tried searching about this. Got mixed resualts. Now I want to see some people’s opinions about this.

Is it like a system we have here (in canada) ? Is it Better/worse? "Free"/expensive?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@16 August 2004 - 01:05
    What are HMOs? What is their role in Health Care?

I have tried searching about this. Got mixed resualts. Now I want to see some people’s opinions about this.

Is it like a system we have here (in canada) ? Is it Better/worse? "Free"/expensive?
    Health Maintenance Organization's specialize in preventative care.

I belong to Kaiser Permanente. They happen to have their own facilities.

They have their own doctor's, blood labs, x-rays labs, pharmacies, after hours care, pediatrics, podiatry, physical therapy and so forth.

The only thing that is external is surgery. I visited orthopedics (in house of course) and that doctor did the surgery outside of the facility.

I happen to like Kaiser because it located down the street from my house and also there's one near my job in DC.

btw your thread title sounds like Homos
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    it's a "Health Maintenance Organization"

they are often the cheapest form of health coverage, especially for people who don't get health insurance from their employer, however many employers are going with HMO's to save money.

you pay into a scheme that provides healthcare within a restricted network of doctors and hospitals. It should have a comprehensive range of benefits for an annual fee (often with co- payments or deductibles that vary from service to service) but one can see only providers in the network.
    Physicians and other health professionals are often on salary or contract with the HMO to provide services.
    Patients are assigned to a primary care doctor or nurse who decides what health services are needed and when. This is where the problems can arise and "denial of treatment" lawsuits happen where the patient disagrees with the decision of the primary doctor and believe they should have treatment that the doctor feels is not needed or the HMO won't cover.

It is a complex system but this is a simplified discription. I have no idea what the Canadians do

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Originally posted by Busyman@16 August 2004 - 01:22
    btw your thread title sounds like Homos
    Thats what I thought it said I first saw it.
    Anyway, I don't know much about this type of stuff. Sorry.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by http://wallofjokes.shacknet.nu/Medical/HMO.html
    HMO Jokes

The problem is that 99.99% of the HMO's make a bad name for the rest of them.

Title for the meeting held in Michigan was an excellent example for oxymoron: "Managed care ethics."

The man goes to a weight loss program advertising for 10 pounds weight loss in one session.
    After registration, he is sent to a gym. A beautiful naked woman enters carrying a sign, "If you catch me you may fuck me."
    The man chases woman until he collapses, but indeed loses 10 pounds.
    The man tells the story to his friend who also goes to the same clinic. After registering, he enters the gym. A huge man enters after him with a sign, "If I catch you I will fuck you."
    He also loses 10 pounds. Upset, tells his friend his experience.
    "What kind of insurance do you have?" asks his friend.
    He replies, "HMO."

I understand that Congress is still trying to pass a bill to eliminate all assault weapons, let's see this will inclde, Uzi's, AKA 47's, and HMO's.

What is the difference between an HMO and a car battery?
    The battery has a positive side.

What does HMO stand for?
    This is actually a variation of the phrase, "Hey, Moe." It's roots go back to a concept pioneered by Doctor Moe Howard, who discovered that a patient could be made to forget about the pain in his foot if he was poked hard enough in the eyes. HMO practice replaces the physical finger poke with hi-tech equivalents such as voice mail and referral slips, but the result remains the same.

What's the difference between an HMO doc and a seagull?
    A seagull can still make a significant deposit on a Mercedes.

Why was Mary forced to give birth to Jesus in a stable.
    She was insured by an HMO. (and they only covered 24 hours in the manger&#33

Doctor to female HMO patient:
    Well Ms. Smith, the bad news is that your bone density scan reveals osteoporosis. The good news is that your insurance will pay for the scan!

A boss of an HMO is interviewing candidates for a managerial position. The boss really likes the current interviewee and suggests that he show up for work the next day with the other managers at 8:00 AM.
    The newly hired manager nervously announces to the boss that he is a Vietnam Vet and had his testicles shot off in the war. The boss warmly proclaims his admiration for all vets and adds that instead of 8:00 AM he can show up at 10. Uncertain, the candidate asks why he should show up at 10 if the other managers begin at 8.
    The boss replies, "Oh, for the first two hours we just stand around and scratch our balls."

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by vidcc@15 August 2004 - 21:27
    Patients are assigned to a primary care doctor or nurse who decides what health services are needed and when. This is where the problems can arise and "denial of treatment" lawsuits happen where the patient disagrees with the decision of the primary doctor and believe they should have treatment that the doctor feels is not needed or the HMO won't cover.
    right. a lot of the dissatisfaction has to do with patients believing they require a more expensive remedy than the HMO will provide, and that the HMO is simply denying it to them (and recommending a cheaper, possibly less effective treatment) because it cuts into profits.

i'll withhold my opinion on the matter, but that's the major complaint which goes around: that HMOs ultimately put profit ahead of the patient's wellbeing.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    canadian healthcare owns, thank god

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by cpt_azad@16 August 2004 - 00:27
    canadian healthcare owns, thank god
    dood u've been playing doom 3 for too long....

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+16 August 2004 - 00:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 16 August 2004 - 00:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cpt_azad@16 August 2004 - 00:27
    canadian healthcare owns, thank god&nbsp;
    dood u&#39;ve been playing doom 3 for too long.... [/b][/quote]
    u think? my god, wat have i become, of course of course, HMO&#39;s are MUCH better than wat we silly canadians have damn liberals

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I always thought HMOs was a poorly spelled colloquialism for gay people.

Boy, was I wrong, eh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast