Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Dealers

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    We have been looking for an extra car as our son should be driving soon (assuming he actually signs up for and finishes drivers ed.)
    We don't want a brand new car but one that's at most 2 years old, so we went around the main dealerships to see what sort of expenditure we are looking at.
    One thing i notice is that none of the cars have prices on them and we don't even get both feet on the forecourt before a salesman grabs us.
    Another thing is that getting the price for the car is a task. Not once did we get a straight answer to the question "how much?".... instead we are given a load of waffle and asked questions about what we do for a living and how much are we prepared to spend.

Is it my imagination or do dealers do profiling before they make up a price?

Don't get me wrong here, i know what is a fair deal but sometimes i feel that the salesmen are trying to take me for a ride

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    they say that mechanics and car dealers rip women off alot but i dont know about guys

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by mofos@17 August 2004 - 13:35
    they say that mechanics and car dealers rip women off alot but i dont know about guys
    well we have only gone to the reputable dealerships. One of which we bought our minivan from brand new.... they list those prices...so why not used prices

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    you know what you gotta do... go somewhere else and make sure the know about it

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by vidcc@17 August 2004 - 19:38
    well we have only gone to the reputable dealerships
    L L

They are all the same SCUM!

da

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Why don't they have prices?

I think that is really weird. I wouldn't go near a place without a copy of Glass's used car prices and some kind of indication of what they are charging.

Slippery beggers though - they don't care what is under the bodywork as long as you buy.

I bought a lemon in Glasgow a few years ago and had to use the warranty to make them replace the engine - took a couple of letters though. - serves me right for buying a Fiat.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Biggles@17 August 2004 - 15:52

so they can give a high price and make you think you have bartered them down

Seriously i have asked this question on many occassions and have been stunned by the answers. The only one that i thought was honest was so that people will walk onto the forcourt that might not if they thought they couldn't afford the cars and "we can help them with the finance". This came from the fords who we bought the minivan from.

Honestly i can say that only the high priced dealers omit the price. Some just put the monthly payment or the downpayment on display. But then the warrenty is better with the main dealers.
    In a small town like mine the dealerships have to provide good follow up service as word would get round if they didn't and there is a fair amount of competition

I wouldn't be so silly as to go hunting for a vehicle without checking the list price first

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by Biggles@17 August 2004 - 14:52

I think that is really weird. I wouldn't go near a place without a copy of Glass's used car prices and some kind of indication of what they are charging.

Slippery beggers though - they don't care what is under the bodywork as long as you buy.

I bought a lemon in Glasgow a few years ago and had to use the warranty to make them replace the engine - took a couple of letters though. - serves me right for buying a Fiat.
    Lemons have engines?
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    My first car will be a 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

10. Lounge   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Keikan@18 August 2004 - 00:37
    My first car will be a 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5
    Atleast you'll have a first car.

No clue what that means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast